Psalm 138:1-2, 2-3, 4-5, 7-8
#75C Solemnities C Context (5th Sunday in Ordinary Time C)
R. (1c) In the sight of the angels I will sing your praises, Lord.
I will give thanks to you, O LORD, with all my heart,
for you have heard the words of my mouth;
in the presence of the angels I will sing your praise;
I will worship at your holy temple
and give thanks to your name.
R. In the sight of the angels I will sing your praises, Lord.
Because of your kindness and your truth;
for you have made great above all things
your name and your promise.
When I called, you answered me;
you built up strength within me.
R. In the sight of the angels I will sing your praises, Lord.
All the kings of the earth shall give thanks to you, O LORD,
when they hear the words of your mouth;
and they shall sing of the ways of the LORD:
“Great is the glory of the LORD.”
R. In the sight of the angels I will sing your praises, Lord.
Your right hand saves me.
The LORD will complete what he has done for me;
your kindness, O LORD, endures forever;
forsake not the work of your hands.
R. In the sight of the angels I will sing your praises, Lord.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 138:1-2, 2-3, 4-5, 7-8
Psalm 138 is a song of thanksgiving. The response we use in this song of thanksgiving and praise recalls for us Isaiah’s vision of the seraphim in Isaiah 6:2-7. We are also reminded of God’s saving power and his enduring faithfulness.
CCC: Ps 138 304; Ps 138:2 214
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Psalm 138:1-2, 2-3, 6-7, 7-8
#111C Solemnities C Context (17th Sunday in Ordinary Time C)
R. (3a) Lord, on the day I called for help, you answered me.
I will give thanks to you, O Lord, with all my heart,
for you have heard the words of my mouth;
in the presence of the angels I will sing your praise;
I will worship at your holy temple
and give thanks to your name.
R. Lord, on the day I called for help, you answered me.
Because of your kindness and your truth;
for you have made great above all things
your name and your promise.
When I called you answered me;
you built up strength within me.
R. Lord, on the day I called for help, you answered me.
The Lord is exalted, yet the lowly he sees,
and the proud he knows from afar.
Though I walk amid distress, you preserve me;
against the anger of my enemies you raise your hand.
R. Lord, on the day I called for help, you answered me.
Your right hand saves me.
The Lord will complete what he has done for me;
your kindness, O Lord, endures forever;
forsake not the work of your hands.
R. Lord, on the day I called for help, you answered me.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 138:1-2, 2-3, 6-7, 7-8
Psalm 138 is a song of thanksgiving. In this selection we find an individual hymn thanking God for salvation. We note the belief in angels, messengers of God, who join the song of praise in the holy temple. The psalmist sees God’s protection and mercy as being eternal, “your kindness, O Lord, endures forever,” and expresses a profound faith that God, creator of mankind, should not forsake what he has created and adopted, "the work of your hands.”
CCC: Ps 138 304; Ps 138:2 214
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Psalm 138:1-2, 2-3, 6, 8
#121A Solemnities A Context (21st Sunday in Ordinary Time A)
R. (8bc) Lord, your love is eternal; do not forsake the work of your hands.
I will give thanks to you, O Lord, with all my heart,
for you have heard the words of my mouth;
in the presence of the angels I will sing your praise;
I will worship at your holy temple.
R. Lord, your love is eternal; do not forsake the work of your hands.
I will give thanks to your name,
because of your kindness and your truth:
When I called, you answered me;
you built up strength within me.
R. Lord, your love is eternal; do not forsake the work of your hands.
The Lord is exalted, yet the lowly he sees,
and the proud he knows from afar.
Your kindness, O Lord, endures forever;
forsake not the work of your hands.
R. Lord, your love is eternal; do not forsake the work of your hands.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 138:1-2, 2-3, 6, 8
Psalm 138 is a hymn of thanksgiving. The psalmist sings of deliverance through the mercy of God who rescues the people, not because of their virtues, but out of his love for them.
"Spirituality, the meeting point of theology and human life, is very evident in this psalm. First, there is an interpretation of human experience in terms of divine providence. The speaker interprets the resolution of crisis in his life as divinely engineered, encouraged to do so because it followed a prayer for deliverance (v 3). Second, traditional theology is actualized in the experience of deliverance." [1]
CCC: Ps 138 304; Ps 138:2 214
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Psalm 138:1-2ab, 2cde-3, 7c-8
#227 Weekday Years I & II Context (Thursday of the 1st Week of Lent)
#292 Weekday Years I & II Context (Tuesday of the 6th Week of Easter)
R. (3a) Lord, on the day I called for help, you answered me.
I will give thanks to you, O LORD, with all my heart,
for you have heard the words of my mouth;
in the presence of the angels I will sing your praise;
I will worship at your holy temple
and give thanks to your name.
R. Lord, on the day I called for help, you answered me.
Because of your kindness and your truth;
for you have made great above all things
your name and your promise.
When I called, you answered me;
you built up strength within me.
R. Lord, on the day I called for help, you answered me.
Your right hand saves me.
The LORD will complete what he has done for me;
your kindness, O LORD, endures forever;
forsake not the work of your hands.
R. Lord, on the day I called for help, you answered me.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 138:1-2ab, 2cde-3, 7c-8
Psalm 138 is a psalm of thanksgiving. It contains the same sense as if it were a continuation of the prayer of Esther C:12, 14-16, 23-25. It praises God for his saving works and expresses confidence in his saving help. It also supports the rescue of Paul and Silas (Acts 16:22ff) who prayed and whose prayers were answered by divine intervention. (“When I called, you answered me.”)
CCC: Ps 138 304; Ps 138:2 214
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Psalm 138:1-2ab, 2cde-3, 4-5
#647 Proper of Saints Context (Feast of Sts. Michael, Gabriel, and Raphael, Archangels, Sep 29)
#945 Mass for Various Needs Context (III. In Various Public Circumstances, 26. In Thanksgiving to God, 3.)
R. (2bc) Lord, I thank you for your faithfulness and love.
R. (1) In the sight of the angels I will sing your praises, Lord.
I will give thanks to you, O LORD, with all my heart,
for you have heard the words of my mouth;
in the presence of the angels I will sing your praise;
I will worship at your holy temple
and give thanks to your name.
R. In the sight of the angels I will sing your praises, Lord.
Because of your kindness and your truth;
for you have made great above all things
your name and your promise.
When I called, you answered me;
you built up strength within me.
R. In the sight of the angels I will sing your praises, Lord.
All the kings of the earth shall give thanks to you, O LORD
when they hear the words of your mouth;
And they shall sing of the ways of the LORD
“Great is the glory of the LORD
R. In the sight of the angels I will sing your praises, Lord.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 138:1-2ab, 2cde-3, 4-5
This song of praise offers thanksgiving for the visible support of God, here attributed to angelic action. The hymn attributes this saving help to an all-merciful God to whom all glory and honor are due.
CCC: Ps 138 304; Ps 138:2 214
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CCC: Ps 138 304; Ps 138:2 214
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Psalm 138:1-2ab, 2cde-3, 7c-8
#227 Weekday Years I & II Context (Thursday of the 1st Week of Lent)
#292 Weekday Years I & II Context (Tuesday of the 6th Week of Easter)
R. (3a) Lord, on the day I called for help, you answered me.
I will give thanks to you, O LORD, with all my heart,
for you have heard the words of my mouth;
in the presence of the angels I will sing your praise;
I will worship at your holy temple
and give thanks to your name.
R. Lord, on the day I called for help, you answered me.
Because of your kindness and your truth;
for you have made great above all things
your name and your promise.
When I called, you answered me;
you built up strength within me.
R. Lord, on the day I called for help, you answered me.
Your right hand saves me.
The LORD will complete what he has done for me;
your kindness, O LORD, endures forever;
forsake not the work of your hands.
R. Lord, on the day I called for help, you answered me.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 138:1-2ab, 2cde-3, 7c-8
Psalm 138 is a psalm of thanksgiving. It contains the same sense as if it were a continuation of the prayer of Esther C:12, 14-16, 23-25. It praises God for his saving works and expresses confidence in his saving help. It also supports the rescue of Paul and Silas (Acts 16:22ff) who prayed and whose prayers were answered by divine intervention. (“When I called, you answered me.”)
CCC: Ps 138 304; Ps 138:2 214
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Psalm 138:1-2ab, 2cde-3, 4-5
#647 Proper of Saints Context (Feast of Sts. Michael, Gabriel, and Raphael, Archangels, Sep 29)
#945 Mass for Various Needs Context (III. In Various Public Circumstances, 26. In Thanksgiving to God, 3.)
R. (2bc) Lord, I thank you for your faithfulness and love.
R. (1) In the sight of the angels I will sing your praises, Lord.
I will give thanks to you, O LORD, with all my heart,
for you have heard the words of my mouth;
in the presence of the angels I will sing your praise;
I will worship at your holy temple
and give thanks to your name.
R. In the sight of the angels I will sing your praises, Lord.
Because of your kindness and your truth;
for you have made great above all things
your name and your promise.
When I called, you answered me;
you built up strength within me.
R. In the sight of the angels I will sing your praises, Lord.
All the kings of the earth shall give thanks to you, O LORD
when they hear the words of your mouth;
And they shall sing of the ways of the LORD
“Great is the glory of the LORD
R. In the sight of the angels I will sing your praises, Lord.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 138:1-2ab, 2cde-3, 4-5
This song of praise offers thanksgiving for the visible support of God, here attributed to angelic action. The hymn attributes this saving help to an all-merciful God to whom all glory and honor are due.
CCC: Ps 138 304; Ps 138:2 214
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[1] Leslie C. Allen, Psalms 101–150 (Revised), vol. 21, Word Biblical Commentary (Dallas: Word, Incorporated, 2002), 315.
Fin2
No comments:
Post a Comment