Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Psalm 23


Psalm 23:1-3a, 3b-4, 5, 6

Note: The biblical citation of these verses in the lectionary varies though the text is identical.

#31A Sundays A Context (4th Sunday of Lent)
R. (1) The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.

#49A Solemnities A Context (4th Sunday of Easter A)
R. The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.
or: R. Alleluia

#107B Solemnities B Context (16th Sunday in Ordinary Time B)
R. (1) The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.

#142A Solemnities A Context (28th Sunday in Ordinary Time A)

#160A Solemnities A Context (The Solemnity of Our Lord Jesus Christ the King A)
R. (1) The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.

#177 Weekday Years I &II Context (Wednesday of the 1st Week of Advent)

#251 Weekdays Years I & II Context (Monday of the 5th Week of Lent)
R. (4ab) Even though I walk in the dark valley I fear no evil; for you are at my side.

#328 Weekday Year I Context (Saturday of the 4th Week in Ordinary Time)

#421 Weekday Year II Context (Wednesday of the 20th Week in Ordinary Time)
R. (1) The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.

#493 Weekday Year II Context (Wednesday of the 32nd Week in Ordinary Time)
R. (1) The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.

#510 Proper of Saints Context (Sts. Basil the Great and Gregory Nazianzen, Jan 2)
R. (1) The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.

#516 Proper of Saints Context (St. Agnes , Jan 21)
R. (1) The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.

#535 Proper of Saints Context (Chair of St. Peter, Feb, 22)
R. (1) The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.

#565 Proper of Saints Context (St. John I, May 18)
R. (1) The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.

#578 Proper of Saints Context (St. Norbert, Jun 6)

#601B Proper of Saints Context (St. Apollinaris Jul 20)+

#659 Proper of Saints Context (St. Margeret Mary Alacoque, Oct 16)

#668 Proper of Saints Context (The Commemoration of All the Faithful Departed, Nov 2)
R. (1) The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want. or:
R. (4ab) Though I walk in the valley of darkness, I fear no evil, for you are with me.

#677 Proper of Saints Context (St. Gertrude, Nov 16)
R. (1) The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.

#700 Proper of Saints Context (St. Sylvester, Dec 31)
R. (1) The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.

#721 Commons Context (Common of Pastors, 2.)
R. (1) The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.

#739 Commons Context (Common of Holy Men and Women, 4.)
R. (1) The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.

#749 Ritual Mass Context (I. For the Conferral of Christian Initiation, 1. Catechumenate and Christian Initiation of Adults, Presentation of the Lord's Prayer, First Option)
R. (1) The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.

#753 Ritual Mass Context (I. For the Conferral of Christian Initiation, 1. Catechumenate and Christian Initiation of Adults, Christian Initiation Apart From the Easter Vigil, 2.)
R. (1) The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.
or: R. (1 Peter 2:25) You were all like lost sheep; but now you have returned to the shepherd of your souls.

#758 Ritual Mass Context (I. For the Conferral of Christian Initiation, 2. Conferral of Infant Baptism, First Option)
R. (1) The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.

#766 Ritual Mass Context (I. For the Conferral of Christian Initiation, 4. Confirmation, 2.)
R. (1) The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.

#772 Ritual Mass Context (II. For the Conferral of Holy Orders, 1.)
R. (1) The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.

#787 Ritual Mass Context (IV. For the Conferral of Ministries, 2. Institution of Acolytes, 1.)
R. (1) The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.

#798 Ritual Mass Context (V. For the Pastoral Care of the Sick and the Dying, 2. Viaticum, 1.)
R. (4ab) Though I walk in the valley of darkness, I fear no evil, for you are with me.
or: R. (1) The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.

#824 Ritual Mass Context (IX. For the Dedication of a Church or an Altar, 3. Blessing of a Chalice and Paten, 2.)
R. (5a, 5d) You prepared a banquet before me; my cup overflows.

#869 Mass for Various Needs Context (I. For the Holy Church, 10. For Unity of Christians, 2.)
R. (1) The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.

#978 Votive Mass Context (The Most Holy Eucharist, 1.)
R. (1) The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.

#997 Votive Mass Context (The Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, 2.)
R. (1) The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.

#1013 Mass for the Dead Context (1.)
R. (1) The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.
or: R. (4ab) Though I walk in the valley of darkness, I fear no evil, for you are with me.

#1019 Mass for the Dead Context (Funerals for Baptized Children, 1.)
R. (1) The Lord is my shepherd; there is nothing I shall want.

R. (6cd) I shall live in the house of the Lord all the days of my life.

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
In verdant pastures he gives me repose;
Beside restful waters he leads me;
he refreshes my soul.
R. I shall live in the house of the Lord all the days of my life.

He guides me in right paths
for his name’s sake.
Even though I walk in the dark valley
I fear no evil; for you are at my side
With your rod and your staff
that give me courage.
R. I shall live in the house of the Lord all the days of my life.

You spread the table before me
in the sight of my foes;
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
R. I shall live in the house of the Lord all the days of my life.

Only goodness and kindness follow me
all the days of my life;
And I shall dwell in the house of the LORD
for years to come.
R. I shall live in the house of the Lord all the days of my life.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 23:1-3a, 3b-4, 5, 6

Psalm 23 is one of the most familiar songs in the entire psalter. “God's loving care for the psalmist is portrayed under the figures of a shepherd for the flock (Psalm 23:1-4) and a host's generosity toward a guest (Psalm 23:5-6). The imagery of both sections is drawn from traditions of the exodus (Isaiah 40:1149:10Jeremiah 31:10).” [1] While the theme of shepherd is mentioned in the first strophe, the psalm really speaks to the peace given to those who follow the Lord and place their trust in Him, even into the “dark valley.

The reference in the third strophe above: “'You spread the table before me in the sight of my foes' occurs in an exodus context in Psalm 78:19. As my enemies watch: my enemies see that I am God's friend and guest. Oil: a perfumed ointment made from olive oil, used especially at banquets (Psalm 104:15Matthew 26:7Luke 7:3746John 12:2).”[2]

CCC: Ps 23:5 1293
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
+ Added from the Sacramentary Supplement, provisional number assinged by SOW
Fin
[1] See NAB footnote on Psalm 23
[2] ibid

No comments:

Post a Comment