Friday, October 18, 2013

Psalm 89


Psalm 89:4-5, 16-17, 27, 29

#13 ABC Context (Nativity of the Lord-Vigil ABC)

R. (2a) For ever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.

I have made a covenant with my chosen one,
I have sworn to David my servant:
Forever will I confirm your posterity
and establish your throne for all generations.
R. For ever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.

Blessed the people who know the joyful shout;
in the light of your countenance, O LORD, they walk.
At your name they rejoice all the day,
and through your justice they are exalted.
R. For ever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.

He shall say of me, “You are my father,
my God, the rock, my savior.”
Forever I will maintain my kindness toward him,
and my covenant with him stands firm.
R. For ever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 89:4-5, 16-17, 27, 29

Psalm 89 is a communal lament sung after the defeat of the Davidic king, because it calls into question God’s promise made in the strophes cited here wherein God promised David’s throne to stand forever. The community asks God to remember his promise.

CCC: Ps 89 709
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 89:2-3, 16-17,18-19

#97A Solemnities A Context (13th Sunday in Ordinary Time A)

R. (2a) Forever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.

The promises of the LORD I will sing forever,
through all generations my mouth shall proclaim your
faithfulness.
For you have said, "My kindness is established forever";
in heaven you have confirmed your faithfulness.
R. Forever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.

Blessed the people who know the joyful shout;
in the light of your countenance, O LORD, they walk.
At your name they rejoice all the day,
and through your justice they are exalted.
R. Forever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.

You are the splendor of their strength,
and by your favor our horn is exalted.
For to the LORD belongs our shield,
and to the Holy One of Israel, our king.
R. Forever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 89:2-3, 16-17,18-19

Psalm 89 is a communal lament. The first strophe recalls God’s faithfulness expressed In his unbreakable covenant with King David. The focus next moves to the people of God –“…in the light of your countenance, O LORD, they walk.” The righteous are upheld by the Lord. The passage concludes reiterating God’s promised help and protection.

CCC: Ps 89 709
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 89:2-3, 4-5, 27 and 29

#11B Solemnities B Context (4th Sunday of Advent B)

#200 Weekday I & II Context (December 24 of Advent)

#543 Proper of Saints Context (Solemnity of St. Joseph, Husband of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mar 19)
R. (37) The son of David will live for ever.

R. (2) For ever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.

The favors of the LORD I will sing forever;
through all generations my mouth shall proclaim your faithfulness.
For you have said, “My kindness is established forever”;
in heaven you have confirmed your faithfulness.
R. For ever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.

“I have made a covenant with my chosen one,
I have sworn to David my servant:
Forever will I confirm your posterity
and establish your throne for all generations.”
R. For ever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.

“He shall say of me, ‘You are my father,
my God, the rock, my savior.’
Forever I will maintain my kindness toward him,
and my covenant with him stands firm.”
R. For ever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 89:2-3, 4-5, 27 and 29

Though Psalm 89 is a lament, this first section is prophetic and reiterates the establishment of the Davidic Dynasty. The intended support for 2 Samuel 7:1-5, 8b-12, 14a, 16 is clear. It is likely this hymn was sung, entreating God, and reminding the people of the covenant between God and David to “…establish your throne for all generations.

CCC: Ps 89 709
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 89:21-22, 25 and 27

#260 Weekday Years I & II Context (Mass of Chrism)

#772 Ritual Mass Context (II. For the Conferral of Holy Orders, 3.)

R. (2) For ever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.

“I have found David, my servant;
with my holy oil I have anointed him.
That my hand may always be with him;
and that my arm may make him strong.”
R. For ever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.

“My faithfulness and my mercy shall be with him;
and through my name shall his horn be exalted.
He shall say of me, ‘You are my father,
my God, the Rock, my savior!’“
R. For ever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 89:21-22, 25 and 27

Psalm 89, taken as a whole, is a communal lament. This selection rejoices in God’s establishment of the Davidic Dynasty and the promise of heavenly support for his kingdom.

CCC: Ps 89 709
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 89:2-3, 21-22, 25 and 27

#282 Weekday Years I & II Context (Thursday of the 4th Week of Easter)

#626 Proper of Saints Context (St. Pius X, Aug 21)

R. (2) For ever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.
or:
R. Alleluia.

The favors of the LORD I will sing forever;
through all generations my mouth shall proclaim your faithfulness.
For you have said, "My kindness is established forever";
in heaven you have confirmed your faithfulness.
R. For ever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.
or:
R. Alleluia.

"I have found David, my servant;
with my holy oil I have anointed him,
That my hand may be always with him,
and that my arm may make him strong."
R. For ever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.
or:
R. Alleluia.

"My faithfulness and my mercy shall be with him,
and through my name shall his horn be exalted.
He shall say of me, 'You are my father,
my God, the Rock, my savior.'"
R. For ever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.
or:
R. Alleluia.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 89:2-3, 21-22, 25 and 27

Psalm 89, taken as a whole, is a communal lament. This selection rejoices in God’s establishment of the Davidic dynasty and the promise of heavenly support for his kingdom.

CCC: Ps 89 709
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 89:16-17, 18-19

#309 Weekday Year II Context (Friday of the First Week in Ordinary Time)

R. (2) For ever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.

Blessed the people who know the joyful shout;
in the light of your countenance, O LORD, they walk.
At your name they rejoice all the day,
and through your justice they are exalted.
R. For ever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.

For you are the splendor of their strength,
and by your favor our horn is exalted.
For to the LORD belongs our shield,
and to the Holy One of Israel, our King.
R. For ever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 89:16-17, 18-19

Psalm 89 is a lament of the community. This first section is prophetic and reiterates the strength of the Davidic Dynasty. With clear focus on the people of God, these strophes are part of the song of praise for God who is the true shield and king.

CCC: Ps 89 709
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 89:20, 21-22, 27-28

#312 Weekday Year II Context (Tuesday of the 2nd Week in Ordinary Time)

R. (21a) I have found David, my servant.
Once you spoke in a vision,
and to your faithful ones you said:
“On a champion I have placed a crown;
over the people I have set a youth.”
R. I have found David, my servant.

“I have found David, my servant;
with my holy oil I have anointed him,
That my hand may be always with him,
and that my arm may make him strong.”
R. I have found David, my servant.

“He shall say of me, ‘You are my father,
my God, the Rock, my savior.’
And I will make him the first-born,
highest of the kings of the earth.”
R. I have found David, my servant.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 89:20, 21-22, 27-28

Psalm 89 is lament of the community. These strophes, however, are a hymn of praise celebrating the identification of King David as king of Israel. The song alludes to his future role as a champion in battle.

CCC: Ps 89 709
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 89:20, 21-22, 25-26

#317 Weekday Year II Context (Monday of the 3rd Week in Ordinary Time)

R. (25a) My faithfulness and my mercy shall be with him.

Once you spoke in a vision,
and to your faithful ones you said:
“On a champion I have placed a crown;
over the people I have set a youth.”
R. My faithfulness and my mercy shall be with him.

“I have found David, my servant;
with my holy oil I have anointed him,
That my hand may be always with him,
and that my arm may make him strong.”
R. My faithfulness and my mercy shall be with him.

“My faithfulness and my mercy shall be with him,
and through my name shall his horn be exalted.
I will set his hand upon the sea,
his right hand upon the rivers.”
R. My faithfulness and my mercy shall be with him.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 89:20, 21-22, 25-26

Psalm 89 is a lament of the community. In these verses it celebrates the call of King David and recalls his anointing at Hebron (see 2 Samuel 5:1-4).

CCC: Ps 89 709
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 89:4-5, 27-28, 29-30

#319 Weekday Year II Context (Wednesday of the 3rd Week in Ordinary Time)

R. (29a) For ever I will maintain my love for my servant.

“I have made a covenant with my chosen one;
I have sworn to David my servant:
I will make your dynasty stand forever
and establish your throne through all ages.”
R. For ever I will maintain my love for my servant.

“He shall cry to me, ‘You are my father,
my God, the Rock that brings me victory!’
I myself make him firstborn,
Most High over the kings of the earth.”
R. For ever I will maintain my love for my servant.

“Forever I will maintain my love for him;
my covenant with him stands firm.
I will establish his dynasty forever,
his throne as the days of the heavens.”
R. For ever I will maintain my love for my servant.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 89:4-5, 27-28, 29-30

Psalm 89 is a communal lament sung after the defeat of the Davidic king. It calls into question God’s promise made in the strophes cited in 2 Samuel 7:4ff wherein God promised that David’s throne was to stand forever. The community asks God to remember his promise.

CCC: Ps 89 709
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 89:4-5, 29-30, 31-32, 33-34

#370 Weekday Year II Context (Saturday of the 11th Week in Ordinary Time)

R. (29a) For ever I will maintain my love for my servant.

“I have made a covenant with my chosen one,
I have sworn to David my servant:
Forever will I confirm your posterity
and establish your throne for all generations.”
R. For ever I will maintain my love for my servant.

“Forever I will maintain my kindness toward him,
and my covenant with him stands firm.
I will make his posterity endure forever
and his throne as the days of heaven.”
R. For ever I will maintain my love for my servant.

“If his sons forsake my law
and walk not according to my ordinances,
If they violate my statutes
and keep not my commands.”
R. For ever I will maintain my love for my servant.

“I will punish their crime with a rod
and their guilt with stripes.
Yet my mercy I will not take from him,
nor will I belie my faithfulness.”
R. For ever I will maintain my love for my servant.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 89:4-5, 29-30, 31-32, 33-34

Psalm 89 is a communal lament sung after the defeat of the Davidic king. Because defeat calls into question God’s promise, made in the strophes cited here where in God promised David’s throne to stand forever, the community asks God to remember his promise.

CCC: Ps 89 709
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 89:2-3, 6-7, 16-17

#555 Proper of Saints Context (St. Mark the Evangelist, Apr 25)

R. (2) For ever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.
or:
R. Alleluia.

The favors of the LORD I will sing forever;
through all generations my mouth shall proclaim your faithfulness.
For you have said, "My kindness is established forever";
in heaven you have confirmed your faithfulness.
R. For ever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.
or:
R. Alleluia.

The heavens proclaim your wonders, O LORD,
and your faithfulness, in the assembly of the holy ones.
For who in the skies can rank with the LORD?
Who is like the LORD among the sons of God?
R. For ever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.
or:
R. Alleluia.

Blessed the people who know the joyful shout;
in the light of your countenance, O LORD, they walk.
At your name they rejoice all the day,
and through your justice they are exalted.
R. For ever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.
or:
R. Alleluia.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 89:2-3, 6-7, 16-17

Psalm 89 is a lament of the community. The psalmist rejoices in God’s steadfast support. God’s constant presence is established through the gift of his creation, proof of his omnipotence. The selection concludes inviting the faithful to rejoice in God’s presence and the justice of his judgement.

CCC: Ps 89 709
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 89:2-3, 4-5, 21-22, 25 and 27

#581 Proper of Saints Context (St. Anthony of Padua, Jun 13)

#588 Proper of Saints Context (St. Cyril of Alexandria, Jun 27)

#611 Proper of Saints Context (St. Eusebius of Vercelli, Aug 2)

#670 Proper of Saints Context (St. Charles Borromeo, Nov 4)

#673 Proper of Saints Context (St. Martin of Tours, Nov 11)

#682 Proper of Saint Context (St. Clement I Nov 23)

#688 Proper of Saints Context (St. Ambrose Dec 7)

#721 Commons Context (Common of Pastors, 4)

R. For ever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.

The favors of the LORD I will sing forever;
through all generations my mouth shall proclaim your faithfulness.
For you have said, "My kindness is established forever";
in heaven you have confirmed your faithfulness.
R. For ever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.

"I have made a covenant with my chosen one,
I have sworn to David my servant:
Forever will I confirm your posterity
and establish your throne for all generations."
R. For ever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.

"I have found David, my servant;
with my holy oil I have anointed him,
That my hand may be always with him,
and that my arm may make him strong."
R. For ever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.

"My faithfulness and my mercy shall be with him,
and through my name shall his horn be exalted.
He shall say of me, 'You are my father,
my God, the rock, my savior."'
R. For ever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 89:2-3, 4-5, 21-22, 25 and 27

Psalm 89, taken as a whole, is a communal lament. This selection rejoices in God’s establishment of the Davidic Dynasty and the promise of heavenly support for his kingdom.

CCC: Ps 89 709
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 89:3-4, 16-17, 21-22, 25 and 27

#753 Ritual Mass Context (I. For the Conferral of Christian Initiation, 1. Catechumenate and Christian Initiation of Adults, Christian Initiation Apart from the Easter Vigil, 10.)

R. (2a) For ever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.

You have said, "My kindness is established forever";
  in heaven you have confirmed your faithfulness:
I have made a covenant with my chosen one,
  I have sworn to David my servant.
R. For ever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.

Blessed the people who know the joyful shout;
  in the light of your countenance, 0 LORD, they walk.
At your name they rejoice all the day,
  and through your justice they are exalted.
R. For ever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.

"I have found David, my servant;
  with my holy oil I have anointed him,
That my hand may be always with him,
  and that my arm may make him strong."
R. For ever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.

"My faithfulness and my mercy shall be with him,
  and through my name shall his horn be exalted.
He shall say of me, 'You are my father,
  my God, the Rock, my savior.'"
R. For ever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 89:3-4, 16-17, 21-22, 25 and 27

Though Psalm 89 is a lament of the community, this section is prophetic and reiterates the strength of the Davidic Dynasty. The first strophe recalls God’s faithfulness expressed In his unbreakable covenant with King David. With clear focus on the people of God – these strophes are part of the song of praise for God who is the true shield and king.

CCC: Ps 89 709
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 89:4-5, 21-22, 25 and 27

#835 Mass for Various Needs Context (1. For the Holy Church, 3. For the Election of a Pope or a Bishop)

R. (2a) For ever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.

"I have made a covenant with my chosen one,
I have sworn to David my servant:
Forever will I confirm your posterity
and establish your throne for all generations."
R. For ever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.

"I have found David, my servant;
with my holy oil I have anointed him,
That my hand may be always with him,
and that my arm may make him strong."
R. For ever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.

"My faithfulness and my mercy shall be with him,
and through my name shall his horn be exalted.
He shall say of me, 'You are my father,
my God, the rock, my savior."'
R. For ever I will sing the goodness of the Lord.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 89:4-5, 21-22, 25 and 27

Psalm 89, taken as a whole, is a communal lament. This selection rejoices in God’s establishment of the Davidic Dynasty and the promise of heavenly support for his kingdom. The selection entreats God to strengthen his servant who has been anointed - set aside - consecrated to the service of the Heavenly Father.

CCC: Ps 89 709
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fin

No comments:

Post a Comment