Psalm 42:3, 5; 43:3, 4
#41ABC Solemnities ABC Context (Easter Vigil in the Holy Night of Easter -When baptism is celebrated)
#753 Ritual Mass Context (I. For the Conferral of Christian Initiation, 1. Catechumenate and Christian Initiation of Adults, Christian Initiation Apart from the Easter Vigil, 6.)
R. (42:3a) My soul is thirsting for the living God.
#762 Ritual Mass Context (I. For the Conferral of Christian Initiation, 3. Reception of Baptized Christians into the Full Communion of the Catholic Church, 2.)
R. (42:2) Like a deer that longs for running streams, my soul longs for you, my God.
Athirst is my soul for God, the living God.
When shall I go and behold the face of God?
R. Like a deer that longs for running streams, my soul longs for you, my God.
I went with the throng
and led them in procession to the house of God,
Amid loud cries of joy and thanksgiving,
with the multitude keeping festival.
R. Like a deer that longs for running streams, my soul longs for you, my God.
Send forth your light and your fidelity;
they shall lead me on
And bring me to your holy mountain,
to your dwelling-place.
R. Like a deer that longs for running streams, my soul longs for you, my God.
Then will I go in to the altar of God,
the God of my gladness and joy;
then will I give you thanks upon the harp,
O God, my God!
R. Like a deer that longs for running streams, my soul longs for you, my God.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 42:3, 5; 43:3, 4
The water theme in this song of thanksgiving reminds us of the life-giving bath that is baptism. Those receiving the sacrament will be moved by the obvious invitation to join with God fully in this adoption into God's family, sharing in his heavenly kingdom.
CCC: Ps 42:3 2112
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Psalm 42:2, 3; 43:3, 4
#237 Weekday Years I & II Context (Monday of the 3rd Week of Lent)
#279 Weekday Years I & II Context (Monday of the 4th Week of Easter)
Or R. Alleluia
R. (see 42:3) Athirst is my soul for the living God.
When shall I go and behold the face of God?
As the hind longs for the running waters,
so my soul longs for you, O God.
R. Athirst is my soul for the living God.
When shall I go and behold the face of God?
Athirst is my soul for God, the living God.
When shall I go and behold the face of God?
R. Athirst is my soul for the living God.
When shall I go and behold the face of God?
Send forth your light and your fidelity;
they shall lead me on
And bring me to your holy mountain,
to your dwelling-place.
R. Athirst is my soul for the living God.
When shall I go and behold the face of God?
Then will I go in to the altar of God,
the God of my gladness and joy;
Then will I give you thanks upon the harp,
O God, my God!
R. Athirst is my soul for the living God.
When shall I go and behold the face of God?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 42:2, 3; 43:3, 4
Psalms 42 and 43 form a single continuous song. It is an individual lament for a return to Jerusalem where God may be encountered in the temple. The hind's (female red deer's) longing for water is used to provide the allusion to baptism, bringing belief out of unbelief.
CCC: Ps 42:3 2112
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Psalm 42:2, 3, 5cdef
#484 Weekday Year II Context (Saturday of the 30th Week in Ordinary Time)
R. (42:3a) My soul is thirsting for the living God.
As the hind longs for the running waters,
so my soul longs for you, O God.
R. My soul is thirsting for the living God.
Athirst is my soul for God, the living God.
When shall I go and behold the face of God?
R. My soul is thirsting for the living God.
I went with the throng
and led them in procession to the house of God.
Amid loud cries of joy and thanksgiving,
with the multitude keeping festival.
R. My soul is thirsting for the living God.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 42:2, 3, 5cdef
Psalm 42 (paired with Psalm 43) is an individual lament. Sung near the origin of the Jordan River at Mt. Hermon, the singer laments not being in God’s presence in the Temple of Jerusalem. The great pain expressed flows from being separated from the holy spaces of the house of God.
CCC: Ps 42:3 2112
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Psalm 42:3, 5cde; 43:3, 4
#793 Ritual Mass Context (V. For the Pastoral Care of the Sick and Dying, 1. Anointing of the Sick, 6.)
R. (42:2) Like a deer that longs for running streams, my soul longs for you,
my God.
Athirst is my soul for God, the living God.
When shall I go and behold the face of God?
R. Like a deer that longs for running streams, my soul longs for you, my God.
I went with the throng
and led them in procession to the house of God,
Amid loud cries of joy and thanksgiving.
R. Like a deer that longs for running streams, my soul longs for you, my God.
Send forth your light and your fidelity;
they shall lead me on
And bring me to your holy mountain,
to your dwelling-place.
R. Like a deer that longs for running streams, my soul longs for you, my God.
Then will I go to the altar of God,
the God of my gladness and joy;
Then will I give you thanks upon the harp,
O God, my God!
R. Like a deer that longs for running streams, my soul longs for you, my God.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 42:3, 5cde; 43:3, 4
The water theme in this song of thanksgiving reminds us of the life-giving bath that is Baptism. Those who have received the sacrament have been moved by the obvious invitation to join with God fully in this holy place. He will be with them always; even in the day of their distress.
CCC: Ps 42:3 2112
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Psalm 42:2, 3, 5cdef; 43:3, 4, 5
#798 Ritual Mass Context (V. For the Pastoral Care of the Sick and Dying, 2. Viaticum, 3.)
#1013 Masses for the Dead Context (4.)
#1019 Masses for the Dead Context (Funerals for Baptized Children, 3.)
R. (42:3) My soul is thirsting for the living God: when shall I see him face
to face?
As the hind longs for the running waters,
so my soul longs for you, O God.
R. My soul is thirsting for the living God: when shall I see him face to face?
Athirst is my soul for God, the living God.
When shall I go and behold the face of God?
R. My soul is thirsting for the living God: when shall I see him face to face?
I went with the throng
and led them in procession to the house of God,
Amid loud cries of joy and thanksgiving,
with the multitude keeping festival.
R. My soul is thirsting for the living God: when shall I see him face to face?
Send forth your light and your fidelity;
they shall lead me on
And bring me to your holy mountain,
to your dwelling-place.
R. My soul is thirsting for the living God: when shall I see him face to face?
Then will I go in to the altar of God,
the God of my gladness and joy;
Then will I give you thanks upon the harp,
O God, my God!
R. My soul is thirsting for the living God: when shall I see him face to face?
Why are you so downcast, O my soul?
Why do you sigh within me?
Hope on God! For I shall again be thanking him,
in the presence of my savior and my God.
R. My soul is thirsting for the living God: when shall I see him face to face?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 42:2, 3, 5cdef; 43:3, 4, 5
The water theme in this song of thanksgiving reminds us of the life-giving bath that is Baptism. Those who have received the sacrament have been moved by the obvious invitation to join with God fully in this holy place. He will be with them always; even in the day of their distress. The psalmist introspectively and rhetorically asks why he fears what is to come. God's salvation is assured and death holds no sway.
CCC: Ps 42:3 2112
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fin
No comments:
Post a Comment