Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Psalm 25


Psalm 25:4-5, 8-9, 10, 14

#3C Solemnities C Context (First Sunday of Advent C)

R. (1b) To you, O Lord, I lift my soul.

Your ways, O LORD, make known to me;
teach me your paths,
Guide me in your truth and teach me,
for you are God my savior,
and for you I wait all the day.
R. To you, O Lord, I lift my soul.

Good and upright is the LORD;
thus he shows sinners the way.
He guides the humble to justice,
and teaches the humble his way.
R. To you, O Lord, I lift my soul.

All the paths of the LORD are kindness and constancy
toward those who keep his covenant and his decrees.
The friendship of the LORD is with those who fear him,
and his covenant, for their instruction.
R. To you, O Lord, I lift my soul.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 25:4-5, 8-9, 10, 14

In this hymn of thanksgiving, we hear the petition we have all made many times.  In paraphrase, it is “God tell me what you want me to do.  Tell me how to follow you.”  It goes on to say how blessed are those who have found that path. This selection gives a clear sense of the Lord’s path announced by angelic messengers, prophets and the very Law of Moses: the culmination and completion of God’s covenants in the tradition of the Hebrews.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 25:4-5ab, 6 and 7bc, 8-9

#23B Solemnities B Context (1st Sunday of Lent B)
R. (cf. 10) Your ways, O Lord, are love and truth to those who keep your covenant.

#68B Solemnities B Context (3rd Sunday in Ordinary Time B)

#187 Years I & II Context (Monday of the 3rd Week of Advent)

#238 Weekday Years I & II Context (Tuesday of the 3rd Week of Lent)
R. (6a) Remember your mercies, O Lord.

#355 Weekday Year I Context (Wednesday of the 9th Week in Ordinary Time)
R. (1) To you, O Lord, I lift my soul.

R. (4) Teach me your ways, O Lord.

Your ways, O LORD, make known to me;
teach me your paths,
Guide me in your truth and teach me,
for you are God my savior.
R. Teach me your ways, O Lord.

Remember that your compassion, O LORD,
and your kindness are from of old.
In your kindness remember me,
because of your goodness, O LORD.
R. Teach me your ways, O Lord.

Good and upright is the LORD;
thus he shows sinners the way.
He guides the humble to justice,
he teaches the humble his way.
R. Teach me your ways, O Lord.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 25:4-5ab, 6 and 7bc, 8-9

Psalm 25 is an individual lament. The sinful psalmist prays that “Your ways” be made known. This request directs us to repentance and ultimately justice. In the first strophe of this hymn, we hear support for our belief that God answered the prayers of our ancient ancestors. Their trust was justified. The song continues as an individual prayer asking for guidance and salvation.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 25:4-5ab, 8-9, 10 and 14

#136A Solemnities A Context (26th Sunday in Ordinary Time A)-
R. (6a) Remember your mercies, O Lord.

#199 Weekday I & II Context (December 23 of Advent)

#356 Weekday Year II Context (Thursday of the 9th Week in Ordinary Time)
R. (4) Teach me your ways, O Lord.

R. (see Luke 21:28) Lift up your heads and see; your redemption is near at hand.

Your ways, O LORD, make known to me;
teach me your paths,
Guide me in your truth and teach me,
for you are God my savior.
R. Lift up your heads and see; your redemption is near at hand.

Good and upright is the LORD;
thus he shows sinners the way.
He guides the humble to justice,
he teaches the humble his way.
R. Lift up your heads and see; your redemption is near at hand.

All the paths of the LORD are kindness and constancy
toward those who keep his covenant and his decrees.
The friendship of the LORD is with those who fear him,
and his covenant, for their instruction.
R. Lift up your heads and see; your redemption is near at hand.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 25:4-5ab, 8-9, 10 and 14

Psalm 25 is an individual lament. The sinful psalmist prays that “Your ways” (God's ways) be made known. The request directs us to repentance and ultimately justice. The theme of guidance is continued in the psalm. This selection gives a clear sense of the Lord’s path, announced by angelic messengers, prophets, and the very Law of Moses.  It is the culmination and completion of God’s covenants. These verses are echoed later by Malachi (Malachi 3:1-4) and John the Baptist (Luke 3:1 ff), also announcing the Lord's path.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 25:6 and 7b, 17-18, 20-21

#668 Proper of Saints Context (The Commemoration of All the Faithful Departed, Nov 2)

#1013 Masses for the Dead Context (2.)

R. (1) To you, O Lord, I lift my soul.
or:
R. (3a) No one who waits for you, O Lord, will ever be put to shame.

Remember that your compassion, O LORD,
and your kindness are from of old.
In yonr kindness remember me,
because of your goodness, O LORD.
R. To you, O Lord, I lift my soul.
or:
R. No one who waits for you, O Lord, will ever be put to shame.

Relieve the troubles of my heart,
and bring me out of my distress.
Put an end to my affliction and my suffering;
and take away all my sins.
R. To you, O Lord, I lift my soul.
or:
R. No one who waits for you, O Lord, will ever be put to shame.

Preserve my life, and rescue me;
let me not be put to shame, for I take refuge in you.
Let integrity and uprightness preserve me,
because I wait for you, O LORD.
R. To you, O Lord, I lift my soul.
or:
R. No one who waits for you, O Lord, will ever be put to shame.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 25:6 and 7b, 17-18, 20-21

Psalm 25 is an individual lament. The singer pleads for God’s mercy, faithful that it will be granted because of the Lord’s kindness and love for his people. The plea is for God’s peace to be given in the heart. There is no justification for this request – no way to earn God’s favor. It is only through faith in God’s love the reward is received.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 25:4-5ab, 6 and 7bc, 8-9, 10 and 14, 15-16

#793 Ritual Mass Context (V. For the Pastoral Care of the sick and the Dying, 1. Anointing of the Sick, 3.)

R. (1) To you, O Lord, I lift my soul.

Your ways, O LORD, make known to me;
  leach me your paths,
Guide me in your truth and teach me,
  tor you are God my savior.
R. To you, O Lord, I lift my soul.

Remember that your compassion, O LORD,
  and your kindness are from of old.
In your kindness remember me,
  because of your goodness, O LORD.
R. To you, O Lord, I lift my soul.

Good and upright is the LORD;
  thus he shows sinners the way.
He guides the humble to justice,
   he teaches the humble his way.
R. To you, O Lord, I lift my soul.

All the paths of the LORD are kindness and constancy
   toward those who keep his covenant and his decrees.
The friendship of the LORD is with those who fear him,
   and his covenant, for their instruction.
 R. To you, O Lord, I lift my soul.

 My eyes are ever toward the LORD,
   for he will free my feet from the snare.
 Look toward me, and have pity on me,
   for I am alone and afflicted.
 R. To you, O Lord, I lift my soul.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 25:4-5ab, 6 and 7bc, 8-9, 10 and 14, 15-16

Psalm 25 is an individual lament. The sinful psalmist prays that “Your ways” be made know. This request directs us to repentance and ultimately justice. In the first strophe of this hymn of thanksgiving we hear support for our belief that God does indeed answer the prayers of all his faithful. Their trust is justified. The song continues as an individual prayer asking for guidance and salvation and concludes with a plea for God's mercy and help in time of need.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 25:4-5ab, 6-7, 8-9, 10, 14

#829 Mass for Various Needs Context (I. For the Holy Church, 1. For the Church, 2.)

R. (6a) Remember your mercies, O Lord.

Your ways, O LORD, make known to me;
  teach me your paths,
Guide me in your truth and teach me,
  for you are God my savior.
R. Remember your mercies, O Lord.

Remember that your compassion, O LORD,
  and your kindness are from of old.
The sins of my youth and my frailties remember not;
  in your kindness remember me,
  because of your goodness, O LORD.
R. Remember your mercies, O Lord.

Good and upright is the LORD;
  thus he shows sinners the way.
He guides the humble to justice,
  he teaches the humble his way.
R. Remember your mercies, O Lord.

All the paths of the LORD are kindness and constancy
  toward those who keep his covenant and his decrees.
R. Remember your mercies, O Lord.

The friendship of the LORD is with those who fear him,
  and his covenant, for their instruction.
R. Remember your mercies, O Lord.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 25:4-5ab, 6-7, 8-9, 10, 14

Psalm 25 is an individual lament. The sinful psalmist prays that “Your ways” be made know. This request directs us to repentance and ultimately justice. In the first strophe of this hymn of thanksgiving we hear support for our belief that God does indeed answer the prayers of all his faithful. Their trust is justified. The song continues as an individual prayer asking for guidance and salvation.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 25:4-5ab, 6 and 7bc, 8-9, 10 and 14

#997 Votive Mass Context (The Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, 3.)

R. (6a) Remember your mercies, O Lord.

Your ways, O LORD, make known to me;
  leach me your paths,
Guide me in your truth and teach me,
  tor you are God my savior.
R. Remember your mercies, O Lord.

Remember that your compassion, O LORD,
  and your kindness are from of old.
In your kindness remember me,
  because of your goodness, O LORD.
R. Remember your mercies, O Lord.

Good and upright is the LORD;
  thus he shows sinners the way.
He guides the humble to justice,
   he teaches the humble his way.
R. Remember your mercies, O Lord.

All the paths of the LORD are kindness and constancy
   toward those who keep his covenant and his decrees.
The friendship of the LORD is with those who fear him,
   and his covenant, for their instruction.
R. Remember your mercies, O Lord.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 25:4-5ab, 6 and 7bc, 8-9, 10 and 14

Psalm 25 is an individual lament. The sinful psalmist prays that “Your ways” be made know. This request directs us to repentance and ultimately justice. In the first strophe of this hymn of thanksgiving we hear support for our belief that God does indeed answer the prayers of all his faithful. Their trust is justified. The song continues as an individual prayer asking for guidance and salvation and concludes with a plea for God's mercy and help in time of need.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 25:4-5ab, 6 and 7bc, 20-21

#1019 Masses for the Dead Context (Funerals for Baptized Children, 2.)

R. (1) To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.

Your ways, O LORD, make known to me;
   teach me your paths,
 Guide me in your truth and teach me,
   for you are God my savior.
R. To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.

Remember that your compassion, O LORD,
  and your kindness are from of old.
In your kindness remember me,
  because of your goodness, O LORD.
R. To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.

Preserve my life, and rescue me;
  let me not be put to shame, for I take refuge in you.
Let integrity and uprightness preserve me,
  because I wait for you, O LORD.
R. To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 25:4-5ab, 6 and 7bc, 8-9

Psalm 25 is an individual lament. The sinful psalmist prays that “Your ways” be made know. This request directs us to repentance and ultimately justice. In the first strophe of this hymn of thanksgiving we hear support for our belief that God does indeed answer the prayers of the faithful. The plea is for God’s peace to be given in the heart. There is no justification for this request – no way to earn God’s favor. It is only through faith in God’s love the reward is received.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 25:4-5ab, 6 and 7b, 17 and 20

#1024 Mass for the Dead Context (Funerals for Children Who Have Died Before Baptism)

R. (1) To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.

Your way, O Lord, make known to me;
  teach me your paths.
Guide me in your truth and teach me,
  for you are God my savior.
R. To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.

Remember that your compassion, O LORD,
  and your kindness are from of old.
In your kindness remember me,
  because of your goodness, O LORD.
R. To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.

Relieve the troubles of my heart;
  bring me out of my distress.
Preserve my life and rescue me;
  let me not be put to shame, for I take refuge in you.
R. To you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 25:4-5ab, 6 and 7b, 17 and 20

Psalm 25 is an individual lament. The sinful psalmist prays that “Your ways” be made known. This request directs us to repentance and ultimately justice. In the first strophe of this hymn of thanksgiving we hear support for our belief that God did indeed answer the prayers of the faithful. Their trust is justified. The song continues as an individual prayer asking for guidance and salvation. It concludes with confidence that the Lord will be merciful.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fin

No comments:

Post a Comment