Friday, October 18, 2013

Psalm 91


Psalm 91:1-2, 10-11, 12-13, 14-15

#24C Solemnities C Context (1st Sunday of Lent C)

R. (cf. 15b) Be with me, Lord, when I am in trouble.

You who dwell in the shelter of the Most High,
who abide in the shadow of the Almighty,
say to the LORD, “My refuge and fortress,
my God in whom I trust.”
R. Be with me, Lord, when I am in trouble.

No evil shall befall you,
nor shall affliction come near your tent,
For to his angels he has given command about you,
that they guard you in all your ways.
R. Be with me, Lord, when I am in trouble.

Upon their hands they shall bear you up,
lest you dash your foot against a stone.
You shall tread upon the asp and the viper;
you shall trample down the lion and the dragon.
R. Be with me, Lord, when I am in trouble.

Because he clings to me, I will deliver him;
I will set him on high because he acknowledges my name.
He shall call upon me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in distress;
I will deliver him and glorify him.
R. Be with me, Lord, when I am in trouble.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 91:1-2, 10-11, 12-13, 14-15

Psalm 91 is especially important in that it contains the quote Satan uses on the Lord in the desert when he tempts him to throw himself down from a high place so the angels of the Lord God might rescue him: “For to his angels he has given command about you, that they guard you in all your ways. Upon their hands they shall bear you up, lest you dash your foot against a stone.” (Luke 4:10-11) The psalm is a song praising God for his saving works.

CCC: Ps 91:10-13 336
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 91:1-2, 14-15b, 15c-16

#353 Weekday Year II Context (Monday of the 9th Week in Ordinary Time)

R. (see 2b) In you, my God, I place my trust.

You who dwell in the shelter of the Most High,
who abide in the shadow of the Almighty,
Say to the Lord, “My refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust.”
R. In you, my God, I place my trust.

Because he clings to me, I will deliver him;
I will set him on high because he
acknowledges my name.
He shall call upon me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in distress.
R. In you, my God, I place my trust.

I will deliver him and glorify him;
with length of days I will gratify him
and will show him my salvation.
R. In you, my God, I place my trust.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 91:1-2, 14-15b, 15c-16

The hymn of thanksgiving that is Psalm 91 gives praise to God for the salvation of his people. He saves those who believe in him from distress and fear.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 91:1-2, 3-4, 14-15ab

#383 Weekday Year I Context (Monday of the 14th Week in Ordinary Time)

R. (see 2b) In you, my God, I place my trust.

You who dwell in the shelter of the Most High,
who abide in the shadow of the Almighty,
Say to the LORD, "My refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust."
R. In you, my God, I place my trust.

For he will rescue you from the snare of the fowler,
from the destroying pestilence.
With his pinions he will cover you,
and under his wings you shall take refuge.
R. In you, my God, I place my trust.

Because he clings to me, I will deliver him;
I will set him on high because he acknowledges my name.
He shall call upon me, and I will answer him;
I will be with him in distress.
R. In you, my God, I place my trust.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 91:1-2, 3-4, 14-15ab

The hymn of thanksgiving, that is Psalm 91, gives praise to God for the salvation of his people.  He saves those who believe in him from distress and fear through his consolation and mercy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 91:1-2, 3-4ab, 4c-6, 10-11

#650 Proper of Saints Context (Memorial of Guardian Angels, Oct 2)

R. (11) The Lord has put angels in charge of you, to guard you in all your ways.

You who dwell in the shelter of the Most High,
who abide in the shadow of the Almighty,
Say to the LORD, "My refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust."
R. The Lord has put angels in charge of you, to guard you in all your ways.

For he will rescue you from the snare of the fowler,
from the destroying pestilence.
With his pinions he will cover you,
and under his wings you shall take refuge.
R. The Lord has put angels in charge of you, to guard you in all your ways.

His faithfulness is a buckler and a shield.
You shall not fear the terror of the night
nor the arrow that flies by day;
Nor the pestilence that roams in darkness,
nor the devastating plague at noon.
R. The Lord has put angels in charge of you, to guard you in all your ways.

No evil shall befall you,
nor shall affliction come near your tent,
For to his angels he has given command about you,
that they guard you in all your ways.
R. The Lord has put angels in charge of you, to guard you in all your ways.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 91:1-2, 3-4ab, 4c-6, 10-11

The hymn of thanksgiving that is Psalm 91 gives praise to God for the salvation of his people. He saves those who believe in Him from the distress and fear. The warrior image of God’s heavenly hosts recalls angelic involvement and their divine intervention on behalf of the faithful whom they guard.

CCC: Ps 91:10-13 336
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fin

No comments:

Post a Comment