Friday, October 18, 2013

Psalm 69


Psalm 69:8-10, 14, 17, 33-35

#94A Sundays A Context (12th Sunday in Ordinary Time A)

R. (14c) Lord, in your great love, answer me.

For your sake I bear insult,
and shame covers my face.
I have become an outcast to my brothers,
a stranger to my children,
Because zeal for your house consumes me,
and the insults of those who blaspheme you fall upon me.
R. Lord, in your great love, answer me.

I pray to you, O Lord,
for the time of your favor, O God!
In your great kindness answer me
with your constant help.
Answer me, O Lord, for bounteous is your kindness;
in your great mercy turn toward me.
R. Lord, in your great love, answer me.

“See, you lowly ones, and be glad;
you who seek God, may your hearts revive!
For the Lord hears the poor,
and his own who are in bonds he spurns not.
Let the heavens and the earth praise him,
the seas and whatever moves in them!"
R. Lord, in your great love, answer me.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 69:8-10, 14, 17, 33-35

Psalm 69 is an individual lament. The psalmist sings of great trials and perils, describing the singer’s dire situation. Faith and hope in the Lord, says the song, sustains those in need. It draws heavily on the image of the faithful servant who suffers but remains dedicated to God’s law and works. Even in the face of this intense social embarrassment, the psalmist must be faithful because “zeal for your house consumes me, and the insults of those who blaspheme you fall upon me.” The imagery in this song forces us to look forward to the passion, as Christ’s punishment is prophetically envisioned.

CCC: Ps 69:10 584
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 69:14, 17, 30-31, 33-34, 36, 37

#105C Solemnities C Context (15th Sunday in Ordinary Time C)

R. (cf. 33) Turn to the Lord in your need, and you will live.

I pray to you, O Lord,
for the time of your favor, O God!
In your great kindness answer me
with your constant help.
Answer me, O Lord, for bounteous is your kindness:
in your great mercy turn toward me.
R. Turn to the Lord in your need, and you will live.

I am afflicted and in pain;
let your saving help, O God, protect me.
I will praise the name of God in song,
and I will glorify him with thanksgiving.
R. Turn to the Lord in your need, and you will live.

“See, you lowly ones, and be glad;
you who seek God, may your hearts revive!
For the Lord hears the poor,
and his own who are in bonds he spurns not.”
R. Turn to the Lord in your need, and you will live.

For God will save Zion
and rebuild the cities of Judah.
The descendants of his servants shall inherit it,
and those who love his name shall inhabit it.
R. Turn to the Lord in your need, and you will live.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 69:14, 17, 30-31, 33-34, 36, 37

Psalm 69 is a lament.  In this passage the song asks God for help in dire straits, and expresses trust that the prayer will be answered. The concluding verses refer to the rebuilding of Jerusalem and Judah.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 69:8-10, 21-22, 31 and 33-34

#259 Weekday Years I & II Context (Wednesday of Holy Week)

R. (14c) Lord, in your great love, answer me.

For your sake I bear insult,
and shame covers my face.
I have become an outcast to my brothers,
a stranger to my mother's sons,
because zeal for your house consumes me,
and the insults of those who blaspheme you fall upon me.
R. Lord, in your great love, answer me.

Insult has broken my heart, and I am weak,
I looked for sympathy, but there was none;
for consolers, not one could I find.
Rather they put gall in my food,
and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.
R. Lord, in your great love, answer me.

I will praise the name of God in song,
and I will glorify him with thanksgiving:
"See, you lowly ones, and be glad;
you who seek God, may your hearts revive!
For the LORD hears the poor,
and his own who are in bonds he spurns not."
R. Lord, in your great love, answer me.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 69:8-10, 21-22, 31 and 33-34

This selection is an individual lament drawing heavily on the image of the faithful servant who suffers, but remains dedicated to God’s law and works. Even in the face of this intense social embarrassment, the psalmist must be faithful because “zeal for your house consumes me, and the insults of those who blaspheme you fall upon me.” The imagery in this song forces us to look forward to the Passion, as Christ’s punishment is prophetically envisioned. This passage is also quoted by the Lord’s disciples as Jesus cleansed the temple in John 2:13-17.

CCC: Ps 69:10 584
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 69:3, 14, 30-31, 33-34

#390 Weekday Year I Context (Tuesday of the 15th Week in Ordinary Time)

R. (see 33) Turn to the Lord in your need, and you will live.

I am sunk in the abysmal swamp
where there is no foothold;
I have reached the watery depths;
the flood overwhelms me.
R. Turn to the Lord in your need, and you will live.

But I pray to you, O LORD,
for the time of your favor, O God!
In your great kindness answer me
with your constant help.
R. Turn to the Lord in your need, and you will live.

But I am afflicted and in pain;
let your saving help, O God, protect me;
I will praise the name of God in song,
and I will glorify him with thanksgiving.
R. Turn to the Lord in your need, and you will live.

"See, you lowly ones, and be glad;
you who seek God, may your hearts revive!
For the LORD hears the poor,
and his own who are in bonds he spurns not."
R. Turn to the Lord in your need, and you will live.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 69:3, 14, 30-31, 33-34

Psalm 69 is an individual lament. The psalmist sings of great trials and perils, describing the singer’s dire situation. Faith and hope in the Lord, says the song, sustains those in need.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 69:5, 8-10, 14

#405 Weekday Year II Context (Friday of the 17th Week in Ordinary Time)

R. (14c) Lord, in your great love, answer me.

Those outnumber the hairs of my head
who hate me without cause.
Too many for my strength
are they who wrongfully are my enemies.
Must I restore what I did not steal?
R. Lord, in your great love, answer me.

Since for your sake I bear insult,
and shame covers my face.
I have become an outcast to my brothers,
a stranger to my mother’s sons,
Because zeal for your house consumes me,
and the insults of those who blaspheme you fall upon me.
R. Lord, in your great love, answer me.

But I pray to you, O Lord,
for the time of your favor, O God!
In your great kindness answer me
with your constant help.
R. Lord, in your great love, answer me.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 69:5, 8-10, 14

Psalm 69 is a lament in which the psalmist sings of being unjustly accused of crimes, and forced to make restitution. “The psalm, which depicts the suffering of the innocent just person vividly, is cited often by the New Testament especially in the passion accounts, e.g., Psalm 69:5 in John 15:25.” [1]

CCC: Ps 69:10 584
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 69:15-16, 30-31, 33-34

#406 Weekday Year II Context (Saturday of the 17th Week in Ordinary Time)

R. (14c) Lord, in your great love, answer me.

Rescue me out of the mire; may I not sink!
may I be rescued from my foes,
and from the watery depths.
Let not the flood-waters overwhelm me,
nor the abyss swallow me up,
nor the pit close its mouth over me.
R. Lord, in your great love, answer me.

But I am afflicted and in pain;
let your saving help, O God, protect me.
I will praise the name of God in song,
and I will glorify him with thanksgiving.
R. Lord, in your great love, answer me.

“See, you lowly ones, and be glad;
you who seek God, may your hearts revive!
For the Lord hears the poor,
and his own who are in bonds he spurns not.”
R. Lord, in your great love, answer me.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 69:15-16, 30-31, 33-34

Psalm 69 is a lament in which the psalmist sings of being unjustly persecuted, and calls on God’s saving help. The faith in God’s mercy is reflected in the confidence of the psalmist as in the final strophe the poor are reassured of the Lord's kindness.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 69:33-35, 36-37

#460 Weekday Year I Context (Saturday of the 26th Week in Ordinary Time)-

R. (34) The Lord listens to the poor.

“See, you lowly ones, and be glad;
you who seek God, may your hearts revive!
For the LORD hears the poor,
and his own who are in bonds he spurns not.
Let the heavens and the earth praise him,
the seas and whatever moves in them!”
R. The Lord listens to the poor

For God will save Zion
and rebuild the cities of Judah.
They shall dwell in the land and own it,
and the descendants of his servants shall inherit it,
and those who love his name shall inhabit it.
R. The Lord listens to the poor.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 69:33-35, 36-37

As if responding to the cry of Zion (Jerusalem) lamenting the sins of her people, the singer of this passage from Psalm 69 pleads for salvation and hope that the Lord will provide help for those faithful to him.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 69:30-31, 33-34, 36

#485 Weekday Year I Context (Monday of the 31st Week in Ordinary Time)-

R. (14c) Lord, in your great love, answer me.

But I am afflicted and in pain;
let your saving help, O God, protect me.
I will praise the name of God in song,
and I will glorify him with thanksgiving.
R. Lord, in your great love, answer me.

“See, you lowly ones, and be glad;
you who seek God, may your hearts revive!
For the Lord hears the poor,
and his own who are in bonds he spurns not.”
R. Lord, in your great love, answer me.

For God will save Zion
and rebuild the cities of Judah.
They shall dwell in the land and own it,
and the descendants of his servants shall inherit it,
and those who love his name shall inhabit it.
R. Lord, in your great love, answer me.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 69:30-31, 33-34, 36

Psalm 69 is an individual lament. The singer cries out in the pain of affliction, offering to praise the Lord when salvation comes. They express confidence that God will continue his saving works and respond to those in distress.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 69:8-10, 15-16, 17-19, 20-21, 22 and 27, 31 and 33-34

#971 Votive Mass (The Mystery of the Holy Cross, 4)

R. (14c) Lord, in your great love, answer me.
  or:
R. (see 21 cd) I looked for sympathy, there was none; for consolers, not one
could I find.

For your sake I bear insult,
  and shame covers my face.
I have become an outcast to my brothers,
  a stranger to my mother's sons,
Because zeal for your house consumes me,
  and the insults of those who blaspheme you fall upon me.
R. Lord, in your great love, answer me.
   or:
R. I looked for sympathy, there was none; for consolers, not one could I find.

Rescue me out of the mire; may I not sink!
   may I be rescued from my foes,
   and from the watery depths.
 Let not the flood-waters overwhelm me,
   nor the abyss swallow me up,
   nor the pit close its mouth over me.
R. Lord, in your great love, answer me.
   or:
R. I looked for sympathy, there was none; for consolers, not one could I find.

Answer me, O LORD, for bounteous is your kindness;
  in your great mercy turn toward me.
Hide not your face from your servant;
  in my distress make haste to answer me.
Come and ransom my life;
  as an answer for my enemies, redeem me.
R. Lord, in your great love, answer me.
   or:
R. I looked for sympathy, there was none; for consolers, not one could I find.

You know my reproach, my shame and my ignominy:
  before you are all of my foes.
Insult has broken my heart, and I am weak,
  I looked for sympathy, but there was none;
  for consolers, not one could I find.
R. Lord, in your great love, answer me.
   or:
R. I looked for sympathy, there was none; for consolers, not one could I find.

Rather they put gall in my food;
  and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink.
For they kept after him whom you smote,
  and added to the pain of him you wounded.
R. Lord, in your great love, answer me.
   or:
R. I looked for sympathy, there was none; for consolers, not one could I find.

I will praise the name of God in song,
  and I will glorify him with thanksgiving;
"See, you lowly ones, and be glad;
  you who seek God, may your hearts revive!
For the LORD hears the poor,
  and his own who are in the bonds he spurns not."
R. Lord, in your great love, answer me.
   or:
R. I looked for sympathy, there was none; for consolers, not one could I find.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 69:8-10, 15-16, 17-19, 20-21, 22 and 27, 31 and 33-34

Psalm 69 is an individual lament. The psalmist sings of great trials and perils, describing the singer’s dire situation. Faith and hope in the Lord, says the song, sustains those in need. It draws heavily on the image of the faithful servant who suffers but remains dedicated to God’s law and works. Even in the face of this intense social embarrassment, the psalmist must be faithful because “…zeal for your house consumes me, and the insults of those who blaspheme you fall upon me.” The imagery in this song forces us to look forward to the passion, as Christ’s punishment is prophetically envisioned.

CCC: Ps 69:10 584
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[1] See NAB footnote on Psalm 69
Fin


No comments:

Post a Comment