Psalm 9:8-9, 10-11, 12-13
#412 Weekday Year II Context (Saturday of the 18th Week in Ordinary Time)-
R. (11b) You forsake not those who seek you, O Lord.
The Lord sits enthroned forever;
he has set up his throne for judgment.
He judges the world with justice;
he governs the peoples with equity.
R. You forsake not those who seek you, O Lord.
The Lord is a stronghold for the oppressed,
a stronghold in times of distress.
They trust in you who cherish your name,
for you forsake not those who seek you, O Lord.
R. You forsake not those who seek you, O Lord.
Sing praise to the Lord enthroned in Zion;
proclaim among the nations his deeds;
For the avenger of blood has remembered;
he has not forgotten the cry of the poor.
R. You forsake not those who seek you, O Lord.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 9:8-9, 10-11, 12-13
The psalm addresses loosely connected themes, the rescue of the helpless poor from their enemies, God's worldwide judgment and his kingship over the nations.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Psalm 9:2-3, 6 and 16, 8-9
#465 Weekday Year I Context (Friday of the 27th Week in Ordinary Time)-
R. (9) The Lord will judge the world with justice.
I will give thanks to you, O LORD, with all my heart;
I will declare all your wondrous deeds.
I will be glad and exult in you;
I will sing praise to your name, Most High.
R. The Lord will judge the world with justice.
You rebuked the nations and destroyed the wicked;
their name you blotted out forever and ever.
The nations are sunk in the pit they have made;
in the snare they set, their foot is caught.
R. The Lord will judge the world with justice.
But the LORD sits enthroned forever;
he has set up his throne for judgment.
He judges the world with justice;
he governs the peoples with equity.
R. The Lord will judge the world with justice.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 9:2-3, 6 and 16, 8-9
This selection of the strophes from Psalm 9 initially gives us a poem of thanksgiving. This is followed by a recollection of God’s support of the children of Israel as they came into the land promised by the Lord. These verses conclude with submission to the will and judgment of God.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Psalm 9:2-3, 4 and 6, 16 and 19
#502 Weekday Year I Context (Saturday of the 33rd Week in Ordinary Time)-
R. (see 16a) I will rejoice in your salvation, O Lord.
I will give thanks to you, O LORD, with all my heart;
I will declare all your wondrous deeds.
I will be glad and exult in you;
I will sing praise to your name, Most High.
R. I will rejoice in your salvation, O Lord.
Because my enemies are turned back,
overthrown and destroyed before you.
You rebuked the nations and destroyed the wicked;
their name you blotted out forever and ever.
R. I will rejoice in your salvation, O Lord.
The nations are sunk in the pit they have made;
in the snare they set, their foot is caught.
For the needy shall not always be forgotten,
nor shall the hope of the afflicted forever perish.
R. I will rejoice in your salvation, O Lord.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 9:2-3, 4 and 6, 16 and 19
Psalm 9 is a song of thanksgiving. These strophes give thanks to God for his support in the face of oppression. The psalmist's enemies are thrown down and the faithful triumph through God’s grace.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fin
No comments:
Post a Comment