Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Psalm 17


Psalm 17:1, 5-6, 8, 15

#156C Solemnities C Context (32nd Sunday in Ordinary Time C)

R. (15b) Lord, when your glory appears, my joy will be full.

Hear, O Lord, a just suit;
attend to my outcry;
hearken to my prayer from lips without deceit.
R. Lord, when your glory appears, my joy will be full.

My steps have been steadfast in your paths,
my feet have not faltered.
I call upon you, for you will answer me, O God;
incline your ear to me; hear my word.
R. Lord, when your glory appears, my joy will be full.

Keep me as the apple of your eye,
hide me in the shadow of your wings.
But I in justice shall behold your face;
on waking I shall be content in your presence.
R. Lord, when your glory appears, my joy will be full.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 17:1, 5-6, 8, 15

The lament of David in this passage from Psalm 17 follows nicely from the prayers of the unjustly persecuted brothers in 2 Maccabees 7:1-2, 9-14.  Faith in God’s salvation will follow those who keep firm to God’s commands.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 17:1, 6-7, 8b and 15

#250 Weekday Years I & II Context (Optional Mass of the 5th Week of Lent)

R. (15b) Lord, when your glory appears, my joy will be full.

Hear, O LORD, a just suit;
attend to my outcry;
hearken to my prayer from lips without deceit.
R. Lord, when your glory appears, my joy will be full.

I call upon you, for you will answer me, O God;
incline your ear to me; hear my word.
Show your wondrous mercies,
O savior of those who flee
from their foes to refuge at your right hand.
R. Lord, when your glory appears, my joy will be full.

Hide me in the shadow of your wings.
But I in justice shall behold your face;
on waking, I shall be content in your presence.
R. Lord, when your glory appears, my joy will be full.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 17:1, 6-7, 8b and 15

Psalm 17 is a lament, a cry from one unjustly accused by enemies. The psalmist begins proclaiming his innocence before God. The plea for God to hear and answer is made followed by the steadfast hope in salvation and trust in God’s mercy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 17:1b, 2-3, 6-7ab, 8b and 15

#384 Weekday Year I Context (Tuesday of the 14th Week in Ordinary Time)

#499 Weekday Year I Context (Wednesday of the 33rd Week in Ordinary Time)
R. (15b) Lord, when your glory appears, my joy will be full.

R. (15a) In justice, I shall behold your face, O Lord.

Hear, O LORD, a just suit;
attend to my outcry;
hearken to my prayer from lips without deceit.
R. In justice, I shall behold your face, O Lord.

From you let my judgment come;
your eyes behold what is right.
Though you test my heart, searching it in the night,
though you try me with fire, you shall find no malice in me.
R. In justice, I shall behold your face, O Lord.

I call upon you, for you will answer me, O God;
incline your ear to me; hear my word.
Show your wondrous mercies,
O savior of those who flee from their foes.
R. In justice, I shall behold your face, O Lord.

Hide me in the shadow of your wings.
I in justice shall behold your face;
on waking, I shall be content in your presence.
R. In justice, I shall behold your face, O Lord.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 17:1b, 2-3, 6-7ab, 8b and 15

Psalm 17 is an individual lament. The psalmist sings for God’s help in distress, having been firm in faithfulness. The Lord is called upon for justice. The psalmist asks for this help in spite of the tests undergone, proclaiming that God alone is the just judge. In the Lord and in his justice the psalmist is content.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 17:1bcd, 6-7, 8b and 15

#447 Weekday Year II Context (Friday of the 24th Week in Ordinary Time)

R. (15b) Lord, when your glory appears, my joy will be full.

Hear, O Lord, a just suit;
attend to my outcry;
hearken to my prayer from lips without deceit.
R. Lord, when your glory appears, my joy will be full.

I call upon you, for you will answer me, O God;
incline your ear to me; hear my word.
Show your wondrous mercies,
O savior of those who flee
from their foes to refuge at your right hand.
R. Lord, when your glory appears, my joy will be full.

Hide me in the shadow of your wings,
But I in justice shall behold your face;
on waking, I shall be content in your presence.
R. Lord, when your glory appears, my joy will be full.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 17:1bcd, 6-7, 8b and 15

Psalm 17 is an individual lament. The psalmist sings for God’s help in distress, having been firm in faithfulness.  The Lord is called upon for justice. Faith in God’s salvation will follow those who are faithful, following God’s commands.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 17:1bcd, 2-3, 6-7

#455 Weekday Year II Context (Monday of the 26th Week in Ordinary Time)

R. (6) Incline your ear to me and hear my word.

Hear, O LORD, a just suit;
attend to my outcry;
hearken to my prayer from lips without deceit.
R. Incline your ear to me and hear my word.

From you let my judgment come;
your eyes behold what is right.
Though you test my heart, searching it in the night,
though you try me with fire, you shall find no malice in me.
R. Incline your ear to me and hear my word.

I call upon you, for you will answer me, O God;
incline your ear to me; hear my word.
Show your wondrous mercies,
O savior of those who flee
from their foes to refuge at your right hand.
R. Incline your ear to me and hear my word.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 17:1bcd, 2-3, 6-7

Psalm 17 is an individual lament. The psalmist sings for God’s help in distress. Having been firm in faithfulness, the singer calls upon the Lord for justice. Faith in God’s salvation will follow those who keep firmly to God’s commands.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fin

No comments:

Post a Comment