Monday, October 21, 2013

Psalm 41


Psalm 41:2-3, 4-5, 13-14

#80B Solemnities B Context (7th Sunday O B)

R. (5b) Lord, heal my soul, for I have sinned against you.

Blessed is the one who has regard for the lowly and the poor;
in the day of misfortune the LORD will deliver him.
The LORD will keep and preserve him;
and make him blessed on earth,
and not give him over to the will of his enemies.
R. Lord, heal my soul, for I have sinned against you.

The LORD will help him on his sickbed,
he will take away all his ailment when he is ill.
Once I said, "O LORD, have pity on me;
heal me, though I have sinned against you."
R. Lord, heal my soul, for I have sinned against you.

But because of my integrity you sustain me
and let me stand before you forever.
Blessed be the LORD, the God of Israel,
from all eternity. Amen. Amen.
R. Lord, heal my soul, for I have sinned against you.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 41:2-3, 4-5, 13-14

Psalm 41 is a song of thanksgiving. The author gives thanks for God’s healing (from an illness). The themes of mercy shown even to those who have sinned and help for the lowly are central as is the Hebrew understanding that this affliction was a consequence of having sinned. The final strophe is a closing doxology that closes this section of the Psalter.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: The index cites #965 (Mass for Various Needs, VI. For Various Needs, 31. For the Grace of a Happy Death) and #971 (Votive Mass, The Mystery of the Holy Cross).  These options are not found in the texts, rather Psalm 31 is found but not indexed.  These options for Psalm 31 are found with that psalm.

No comments:

Post a Comment