Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Psalm 27

Psalm 27:1, 3, 4, 5

#35O-2 BVM Context (The Blessed Virgin Mary, Pillar of Faith)

R. (See 9cd) You are my help, my saving God.

The LORD is my light and my salvation;
whom do I fear?
The LORD is my life's refuge;
of whom am I afraid?
R. You are my help, my saving God.

Though an army encamp against me,
my heart does not fear;
Though war be waged against me,
even then do I trust.
R. You are my help, my saving God.

One thing I ask of the LORD;
this I seek:
To dwell in the LORD'S house
all the days of my life,
To gaze on the LORD'S beauty,
to visit the temple.
R. You are my help, my saving God.

For God will hide me in this shelter
in time of trouble,
will conceal me in the cover of this tent;
and set me high upon a rock.
R. You are my help, my saving God.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 27:1, 3, 4, 5

Psalm 27 is an individual lament with two distinct parts. This passage focuses on the singers hope in the mercy of God and his salvation. Pleading for God’s salvation the psalmist seeks his saving hand.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 27:1, 7-8, 8-9, 13-14

#27C Solemnities C Context (2nd Sunday of Lent C)

R. (1a) The Lord is my light and my salvation.

The LORD is my light and my salvation;
whom should I fear?
The LORD is my life’s refuge;
of whom should I be afraid?
R. The Lord is my light and my salvation.

Hear, O LORD, the sound of my call;
have pity on me, and answer me.
Of you my heart speaks; you my glance seeks.
R. The Lord is my light and my salvation.

Your presence, O LORD, I seek.
Hide not your face from me;
do not in anger repel your servant.
You are my helper: cast me not off.
R. The Lord is my light and my salvation.

I believe that I shall see the bounty of the LORD
in the land of the living.
Wait for the LORD with courage;
be stouthearted, and wait for the LORD.
R. The Lord is my light and my salvation.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 27:1, 7-8, 8-9, 13-14

Similar in tenor to Psalm 23, we hear in this passage both a profession of faith (“The Lord is my light and my salvation”) and a plea for help (“Hear, O Lord, the sound of my call”).  Taken in total it is a consolation for all who have faith.

Psalm 27 begins in the form of a soliloquy asserting God’s role as refuge and savior. This passage continues with a prayer as the psalmist yearns to see God’s face to obtain his indulgence. “Commenting on this psalm, St. Augustine writes; ‘In the most hidden place, where only you may hear it, my heart says to you: Lord, I seek your face: and I will continue in this search, without ever taking rest, so that I may love you freely, for I will never find anything more precious than [your face]’ (Enarrationes in Psalmos, 26.8)." [1]

CCC: Ps 27:8 2730
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 27:1, 4, 7-8

#59A Solemnities A Context (7th Sunday of Easter A)

R. (13) I believe that I shall see the good things of the Lord in the land of the living.
or:
R. Alleluia.

The Lord is my light and my salvation;
whom should I fear?
The Lord is my life’s refuge;
of whom should I be afraid?
R. I believe that I shall see the good things of the Lord in the land of the living.
or:
R. Alleluia.

One thing I ask of the Lord;
this I seek:
To dwell in the house of the Lord
all the days of my life,
That I may gaze on the loveliness of the Lord
and contemplate his temple.
R. I believe that I shall see the good things of the Lord in the land of the living.
or:
R. Alleluia.

Hear, O Lord, the sound of my call;
have pity on me, and answer me.
Of you my heart speaks; you my glance seeks.
R. I believe that I shall see the good things of the Lord in the land of the living.
or:
R. Alleluia.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 27:1, 4, 7-8

Psalm 27 is an individual lament with two distinct parts. This passage focuses on the singer's hope in the mercy of God and his salvation. Pleading for God’s salvation, the psalmist seeks his saving hand.

CCC: Ps 27:8 2730
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 27:1, 4, 13-14

#67A Solemnities A Context (3rd Sunday in Ordinary Time A)

#179 Weekday Years I & II Context (Friday of the 1st Week of Advent)

#271 Weekday Years I & II Context (Friday of the 2nd Week of Easter)
R. (see 4abc) One thing I seek: to dwell in the house of the Lord.
or:
R. Alleluia.

#432 Weekday Year I Context (Tuesday of the 22nd Week in Ordinary Time)

#487 Weekday Year II Context (Wednesday of the 31st Week in Ordinary Time)

#488 Weekday Year I Context (Thursday of the 31st Week in Ordinary Time)

R. (13) I believe that I shall see the good things of the Lord in the land of the living.

R. (1a) The Lord is my light and my salvation.

The LORD is my light and my salvation;
whom should I fear?
The LORD is my life’s refuge;
of whom should I be afraid?
R. The Lord is my light and my salvation.

One thing I ask of the LORD;
this I seek:
To dwell in the house of the LORD
all the days of my life,
That I may gaze on the loveliness of the LORD
and contemplate his temple.
R. The Lord is my light and my salvation.

I believe that I shall see the bounty of the LORD
in the land of the living.
Wait for the LORD with courage;
be stouthearted, and wait for the LORD.
R. The Lord is my light and my salvation.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 27:1, 4, 13-14

Psalm 27 is an individual lament. Here, the singer expresses faith in God, who is the refuge of the faithful, longing to find ultimate safety and the bounty of God’s heavenly kingdom. This passage from the psalm captures the two major themes: hope in God’s mercy, and complete trust in his goodness. In these strophes, David longs for the Lord’s protection and the gift of life which flows from God's salvation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 27:1, 7-8a, 8b-9abc, 13-14

#243 Weekday Years I & II Context (Optional Mass on the 4th Week of Lent)

R. (1a) The Lord is my light and my salvation.

The LORD is my light and my salvation;
whom should I fear?
The LORD is my life's refuge;
of whom should I be afraid?
R. The Lord is my light and my salvation.

Hear, O LORD, the sound of my call;
have pity on me and answer me.
Of you my heart speaks; you my glance seeks.
R. The Lord is my light and my salvation.

Your presence, O LORD, I seek!
Hide not your face from me;
do not in anger repel your servant.
You are my helper; cast me not off.
R. The Lord is my light and my salvation.

I believe that I shall see the bounty of the LORD
in the land of the living.
Wait for the LORD with courage;
be stouthearted, and wait for the LORD!
R. The Lord is my light and my salvation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 27:1, 7-8a, 8b-9abc, 13-14

Psalm 27 begins in the form of a soliloquy asserting God’s role as refuge and savior. This passage continues with a prayer as the psalmist yearns to see God’s face to obtain his indulgence.

“Commenting on this psalm, St. Augustine writes; ‘In the most hidden place, where only you may hear it, my heart says to you: Lord, I seek your face: and I will continue in this search, without ever taking rest, so that I may love you freely, for I will never find anything more precious than [your face]’ (Enarrationes in Psalmos, 26.8). [1]

CCC: Ps 27:8 2730
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 27:1, 2, 3, 13-14

#257 Weekday Years I & II Context (Monday of Holy Week)

R. (1a) The Lord is my light and my salvation.

The LORD is my light and my salvation;
whom should I fear?
The LORD is my life's refuge;
of whom should I be afraid?
R. The Lord is my light and my salvation.

When evildoers come at me
to devour my flesh,
My foes and my enemies
themselves stumble and fall.
R. The Lord is my light and my salvation.

Though an army encamp against me,
my heart will not fear;
Though war be waged upon me,
even then will I trust.
R. The Lord is my light and my salvation.

I believe that I shall see the bounty of the LORD
in the land of the living.
Wait for the LORD with courage;
be stouthearted, and wait for the LORD.
R The Lord is my light and my salvation.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 27:1, 2, 3, 13-14

This section of the psalm is a profession of faith in the salvation that comes only from the Lord God. This selection is frequently used in Christian funerals because of the hope and encouragement embodied in it. The psalmist expresses faith in God who is the refuge of the faithful, longing to find the ultimate safety and bounty of God’s heavenly kingdom. In the final strophe the singer expresses faith and hope that God will reveal himself in the end and for all time.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 27:1, 3, 5, 8b-9abc


#327 Weekday Year I Context (Friday of the 4th Week in Ordinary Time)

R. (1a) The Lord is my light and my salvation.

The LORD is my light and my salvation;
whom should I fear?
The LORD is my life's refuge;
of whom should I be afraid?
R. The Lord is my light and my salvation.

Though an army encamp against me,
my heart will not fear;
Though war be waged upon me,
even then will I trust.
R. The Lord is my light and my salvation.

For he will hide me in his abode
in the day of trouble;
He will conceal me in the shelter of his tent,
he will set me high upon a rock.
R. The Lord is my light and my salvation.

Your presence, O LORD, I seek.
Hide not your face from me;
do not in anger repel your servant.
You are my helper: cast me not off.
R. The Lord is my light and my salvation.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 27:1, 3, 5, 8b-9abc

Psalm 27 is a hymn of praise with two distinct parts. This passage captures the two major themes of the song, hope in God’s mercy and complete trust in his goodness. The singer, speaking for the people, pleads with the Lord to be constantly with them and provide the bounty of faith they hope for.

CCC: Ps 27:8 2730
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 27:7-8a, 8b-9abc, 13-14

#363 Weekday Year II Context (Friday of the 10th Week in Ordinary Time)

#458 Weekday Year II Context (Thursday of the 26th Week in Ordinary Time)
R. (13) I believe that I shall see the good things of the Lord in the land of the living.

R. (8b) I long to see your face, O Lord.

Hear, O Lord, the sound of my call;
have pity on me, and answer me.
Of you my heart speaks; you my glance seeks.
R. I long to see your face, O Lord.

Your presence, O Lord, I seek.
Hide not your face from me;
do not in anger repel your servant.
You are my helper: cast me not off.
R. I long to see your face, O Lord.

I believe that I shall see the bounty of the Lord
in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord with courage;
be stouthearted, and wait for the Lord.
R. I long to see your face, O Lord.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 27:7-8a, 8b-9abc, 13-14

Psalm 27 is an individual lament. In this selection from it, we hear the psalmist asking for God to reveal himself to his faithful. He calls to the Lord, imploring him to hear the desperate prayer. The psalmist expresses faith in God who is the refuge of the faithful, longing to find the ultimate safety and bounty of God’s heavenly kingdom. In the final strophe the singer expresses faith and hope that God will reveal himself in the end and for all time.

CCC: Ps 27:8 2730
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 27:1, 4, 7 and 8b and 9a, 13-14

#668 Proper of Saints Context (The Commemoration of All the Faithful Departed, 3., Nov 2)

R. (1) The Lord is my light and my salvation.
or:
R. (13) I believe that I shall see the good things of the Lord in the land of the
living.

The LORD is my light and my salvation;
whom should I fear?
The LORD is my life's refuge;
of whom should I be afraid?
R. The Lord is my light and my salvation.
or:
R. I believe that I shall see the good things of the Lord in the land of the living.

One thing I ask of the LORD;
this I seek:
To dwell in the house of the LORD
all the days of my life,
That I may gaze on the loveliness of the LORD
and contemplate his temple.
R. The Lord is my light and my salvation.
or:
R. I believe that I shall see the good things of the Lord in the land of the living.

Hear, O LORD, the sound of my call;
have pity on me and answer me.
Your presence, O LORD, I seek.
Hide not your face from me.
R. The Lord is my light and my salvation.
or:
R. I believe that I shall see the good things of the Lord in the land of the living.

I believe that I shall see the bounty of the LORD
in the land of the living.
Wait for the LORD with courage;
be stouthearted, and wait for the LORD!
R. The Lord is my light and my salvation.
or:
R. I believe that I shall see the good things of the Lord in the land of the living.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 27:1, 4, 7 and 8b and 9a, 13-14

Psalm 27 begins in the form of a soliloquy asserting God’s role as refuge and savior. This passage continues with a prayer as the psalmist yearns to see God’s face to obtain his indulgence.

CCC: Ps 27:8 2730
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 27:1bcde, 4, 8b-9, 13-14

#753 Ritual Mass Context (I. Conferral of Christian Initiation, 2. Catechumenate and Christian Initiation of Adults, Christian Initiation Apart From the Easter Vigil, 3.)

R. (la) The Lord is my light and my salvation.
  or:
R. (Ephesians 5:14) Wake up and rise from death: Christ will shine upon you!

The LORD is my light and my salvation;
  whom should I fear?
The LORD is my life's refuge;
  of whom should 1 be afraid?
R. The Lord is my light and my salvation.
  or:
R. Wake up and rise from death: Christ will shine upon you!

One thing I ask of the LORD;
  this I seek:
To dwell in the house of the LORD
  all the days of my life,
That I may gaze on the loveliness of the LORD
  and contemplate his temple.
R. The Lord is my light and my salvation.
  or:
R. Wake up and rise from death: Christ will shine upon you!

Your presence, O LORD, I seek.
Hide not your face from me;
   do not in anger repel your servant.
You are my helper: cast me not off;
   forsake me not, O God my savior.
R. The Lord is my light and my salvation.
   or:
R. Wake up and rise from death: Christ will shine upon you!

 I believe that I shall see the bounty of the LORD
   in the land of the living.
 Wait for the LORD with courage;
   be stouthearted, and wait for the LORD.
R. The Lord is my light and my salvation.
   or:
R. Wake up and rise from death: Christ will shine upon you!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 27:1bcde, 4, 8b-9, 13-14

Psalm 27 begins in the form of a soliloquy asserting God’s role as refuge and savior. This passage continues with a prayer as the psalmist yearns to see God’s face to obtain his indulgence. These strophes captures the two major themes of the song, hope in God’s mercy and complete trust in his goodness; concluding with faith in the Lord's ultimate salvation.

CCC: Ps 27:8 2730
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Psalm 27:1bcde, 4, 8b-9abc, 13-14

#758 Ritual Mass Context (I. For the Conferral of Christian Initiation, 2. Conferral of Infant Baptism, Second Option)

#762 Ritual Mass (I. For the Conferral of Christian Initiation, 3. Reception of Baptized Christians Into the Full Communion of the Catholic Church, 1.)
R. (la) The Lord is my light and my salvation.

R. (la) The Lord is my light and my salvation.
  or:
R. (Ephesians 5:14) Wake up and rise from death: Christ will shine upon you!

The LORD is my light and my salvation;
  whom should I fear?
The LORD is my life's refuge;
  of whom should 1 be afraid?
R. The Lord is my light and my salvation.
  or:
R. Wake up and rise from death: Christ will shine upon you!

One thing I ask of the LORD;
  this I seek:
To dwell in the house of the LORD
  all the days of my life,
That I may gaze on the loveliness of the LORD
  and contemplate his temple.
R. The Lord is my light and my salvation.
  or:
R. Wake up and rise from death: Christ will shine upon you!

Your presence, O LORD, I seek.
Hide not your face from me;
   do not in anger repel your servant.
You are my helper: cast me not off.
R. The Lord is my light and my salvation.
   or:
R. Wake up and rise from death: Christ will shine upon you!

 I believe that I shall see the bounty of the LORD
   in the land of the living.
 Wait for the LORD with courage;
   be stouthearted, and wait for the LORD.
R. The Lord is my light and my salvation.
   or:
R. Wake up and rise from death: Christ will shine upon you!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 27:1bcde, 4, 8b-9abc, 13-14

Psalm 27 begins in the form of a soliloquy asserting God’s role as refuge and savior. This passage continues with a prayer as the psalmist yearns to see God’s face to obtain his indulgence. These strophes captures the two major themes of the song, hope in God’s mercy and complete trust in his goodness; concluding with faith in the Lord's ultimate salvation.

CCC: Ps 27:8 2730
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 27:1bcde, 4, 5, 7-8, 8b-9ab, 9cd-10

#793 Ritual Mass Context (V. For the Pastoral Care of the Sick and the Dying, 1. Anointing of the Sick, 4.)

R. (14) Put your hope in the Lord; take courage and be strong.

The LORD is my light and salvation;
  whom should I fear?
The LORD is my life's refuge;
  of whom should I be afraid?
R. Put your hope in the Lord; take courage and be strong.

One thing I ask of the LORD;
  this I seek:
To dwell in the house of the LORD
  all the days of my life,
That 1 may gaze on the loveliness of the LORD
  and contemplate his temple.
R. Put your hope in the Lord; take courage and be strong.

For he will hide me in his abode
  in the day of trouble;
He will conceal me in the shelter of his tent,
  he will set me high upon a rock.
R. Put your hope in the Lord; take courage and be strong.

Hear, O LORD, the sound of my call;
  have pity on me, and answer me.
Of you my heart speaks; you my glance seeks.
R. Put your hope in the Lord; take courage and be strong.

Your presence, O LORD, I seek.
Hide not your face from me;
  do not in anger repel your servant.
R. Put your hope in the Lord; take courage and be strong.

You are my helper: cast me not off;
  forsake me not, O God my savior.
Though my father and mother forsake me,
  yet will the LORD receive me.
R. Put your hope in the Lord; take courage and be strong.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 27:1bcde, 4, 5, 7-8, 8b-9ab, 9cd-10

Psalm 27 begins in the form of a soliloquy asserting God’s role as refuge and savior. This passage continues with a prayer as the psalmist yearns to see God’s face to obtain his indulgence. These strophes captures the two major themes of the song, hope in God’s mercy and complete trust in his goodness; concluding with faith in the Lord's ultimate salvation.

“Commenting on this psalm, St. Augustine writes; ‘In the most hidden place, where only you may hear it, my heart says to you: Lord, I seek your face: and I will continue in this search, without ever taking rest, so that I may love you freely, for I will never find anything more precious than [your face]’ (Enarrationes in Psalmos, 26.8). [1]

CCC: Ps 27:8 2730; Ps 27:10 239
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 27:1, 4, 5, 8-9abc, 11

#813 Ritual Mass Context (VIII. For the Consecration of Virgins and Religious Profession, 2.)

R. (8b) I long to see your face, O Lord.

The LORD is my light and my salvation;
  whom should I fear?
The LORD is my life's refuge;
  of whom should I be afraid?
R. I long to see your face, O Lord.

One thing I ask of the LORD; this I seek:
To dwell in the house of the LORD
  all the days of my life,
That I may gaze on the loveliness of the LORD
  and contemplate his temple.
R. I long to see your face, O Lord.

For he will hide me in his abode
   in the day of trouble;
He will conceal me in the shelter of his tent,
   he will set me high upon a rock.
R. I long to see your face, O Lord.

You my glance seeks;
   your presence, O LORD, I seek.
 Hide not your face from me;
   do not in anger repel your servant.
 You are my helper: cast me not off.
R. I long to see your face, O Lord.

 Show me, O LORD, your way and lead me on a level path,
   because of my adversaries.
R. I long to see your face, O Lord.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 27:1, 4, 5, 8-9abc, 11

Psalm 27 is an individual lament with two distinct parts. This passage focuses on the singers hope in the mercy of God and his salvation. Pleading for God’s salvation the psalmist seeks his saving hand. There is an underlying confidence in God's faithfulness, even as the signer pleads for help in facing adversity.

CCC: Ps 27:8 2730
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 27:1,2, 3, 5

#829 Mass for Various Needs Context (I. For the Holy Church, 1. For the Church, 3.)

#854 Mass for Various Needs Context (I. For the Holy Church, 7. For Religious, 2.)

#879 Mass for Various Needs Context (I. For the Holy Church, 12. For Persecuted Christians, Second Option)
R. (see 9d) Do not abandon me, O God my Savior.
or: R. (1a) The Lord is my light and my salvation.

R. (see 9d) Do not abandon me, O God my Savior.

The LORD is my light and my salvation;
  whom should I fear?
The LORD is my life's refuge;
  of whom should I be afraid?
R. Do not abandon me, O God my Savior.

When evildoers come at me
  to devour my flesh,
My foes and my enemies
  themselves stumble and fail.
R. Do not abandon me, O God my Savior.

Though an army encamp against me
  my heart will not fear;
Though war be waged upon me,
  even then will I trust.
R. Do not abandon me, O God my Savior.

For he will hide me in his abode
  in the day of trouble;
He will conceal me in the shelter of his tent,
  he will set me high upon a rock.
R. Do not abandon me, O God my Savior.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 27:1, 2, 3, 5

Psalm 27 is an individual lament with two distinct parts. This passage focuses on the singers hope in the mercy of God and his salvation. Pleading for God’s salvation the psalmist seeks his saving hand.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 27:1, 4, 5, 8-9b, 9c-11

#845 Mass for Various Needs Context (I. For the Holy Church, 5. For Priests, 3.)

R. (8b) I long to see your face, O Lord.

The LORD is my light and my salvation;
  whom should I fear?
The LORD is my life's refuge;
  of whom should I be afraid?
R. I long to see your face, O Lord.

One thing I ask of the LORD;
  this I seek:
To dwell in the house of the LORD
  all the days of my life,
That 1 may gaze on the loveliness of the LORD
  and contemplate his temple.
R. I long to see your face, O Lord.

For he will hide me in his abode
  in the day of trouble;
He will conceal me in the shelter of his tent,
  he will set me high upon a rock.
R. I long to see your face, O Lord.

Of you my heart speaks; you my glance seeks;
   your presence, O LORD, I seek.
Hide not your face from me;
   do not in anger repel your servant.
R. I long to see your face, O Lord.

You are my helper: cast me not off.
Show me, O LORD, your way and lead me on a level path,
   because of my adversaries.
R. I long to see your face, O Lord.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 27:1, 4, 5, 8-9b, 9c-11

Psalm 27 is an individual lament with two distinct parts. This passage focuses on the singers hope in the mercy of God and his salvation. Pleading for God’s salvation the psalmist seeks his saving hand. There is an underlying confidence in God's faithfulness, even as the signer pleads for help in facing adversity.

CCC: Ps 27:8 2730
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 27:1, 4, 5, 8b-9ab, 9cd and 11

# 859 Mass for Various Needs Context (I. For the Holy Church, 8. For Vocations to Holy Orders or Religious Life, Second Option)

R. (8b) I long to see your face, O Lord.

The LORD is my light and my salvation;
  whom should I fear?
The LORD is my life's refuge;
  of whom should I be afraid?
R. I long to see your face, O Lord.

One thing I ask of the LORD;
  this I seek:
To dwell in the house of the LORD
  all the days of my life,
That I may gaze on the loveliness of the LORD
  and contemplate his temple.
R. I long to see your face, O Lord.

For he will hide me in his abode
  in the day of trouble;
He will conceal me in the shelter of his tent,
  he will set me high upon a rock.
R. I long to see your face, O Lord.

Your presence, O LORD, I seek.
Hide not your face from me;
  do not in anger repel your servant.
R. I long to see your face, O Lord.

You are my helper: cast me not off;
  forsake me not, O God my savior.
Show me, O LORD, your way, and lead me on a level path,
  because of my adversaries.
R. I long to see your face, O Lord.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 27:1, 4, 5, 8b-9ab, 9cd and 11

Psalm 27 is an individual lament with two distinct parts. This passage focuses on the singers hope in the mercy of God and his salvation. Pleading for God’s salvation the psalmist seeks his saving hand. There is an underlying confidence in God's faithfulness, even as the signer pleads for help in facing adversity.

CCC: Ps 27:8 2730
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 27:1, 4, 7 and 8b and 9a, 13-14

#1013 Mass for the Dead Context (3.)

R. (1a) The Lord is my light and my salvation.
  or:
R. (13) I believe that I shall see the good things of the Lord in the land of
the living.

The LORD is my light and ray salvation;
  whom should I fear?
The LORD is my life's refuge;
   of whom should I be afraid?
R. The Lord is my light and my salvation.
   or:
R. I believe that I shall see the good things of the Lord in the land of the
living.

One thing I ask of the LORD;
   this I seek:
To dwell in the house of the LORD
   all the days of my life,
That I may gaze on the loveliness of the LORD
   and contemplate his temple.
R. The Lord is my light and my salvation.
   or:
R. I believe that I shall see the good things of the Lord in the land of the
living.

Hear, O LORD, the sound of my call;
   have pity on me, and answer me.
Your presence, O LORD, I seek.
   Hide not your face from me.
R. The Lord is my light and my salvation.
   or:
R. I believe that I shall see the good things of the Lord in the land of the
living.

I believe that I shall see the bounty of the LORD
  in the land of the living.
Wait for the LORD with courage;
  be stouthearted, and wait for the LORD.
R. The Lord is my light and my salvation.
   or:
R. I believe that I shall see the good things of the Lord in the land of the
living.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 27:1, 4, 7 and 8b and 9a, 13-14

Psalm 27 is an individual lament with two distinct parts. This passage focuses on the singers hope in the mercy of God and his salvation. Pleading for God’s salvation the psalmist seeks his saving hand.

“Commenting on this psalm, St. Augustine writes; ‘In the most hidden place, where only you may hear it, my heart says to you: Lord, I seek your face: and I will continue in this search, without ever taking rest, so that I may love you freely, for I will never find anything more precious than [your face]’ (Enarrationes in Psalmos, 26.8). [1]

CCC: Ps 27:8 2730
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fin
[1] The Navarre Bible: “Psalms”, Scepter Publishers, Princeton, NJ, © 2003, p. 109 




No comments:

Post a Comment