Friday, October 18, 2013

Psalm 86


Psalm 86:5-6, 9-10, 15-16

#106A Solemnities A Context (16th Sunday in Ordinary Time A)

R. (5a) Lord, you are good and forgiving.

You, O Lord, are good and forgiving,
abounding in kindness to all who call upon you.
Hearken, O Lord, to my prayer
and attend to the sound of my pleading.
R. Lord, you are good and forgiving.

All the nations you have made shall come
and worship you, O Lord,
and glorify your name.
For you are great, and you do wondrous deeds;
you alone are God.
R. Lord, you are good and forgiving.

You, O Lord, are a God merciful and gracious,
slow to anger, abounding in kindness and fidelity.
Turn toward me, and have pity on me;
give your strength to your servant.
R. Lord, you are good and forgiving.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 86:5-6, 9-10, 15-16

Psalm 86 is a lament. The psalmist sings of a life afflicted and asks God to give his servant relief. The song indicates the faithfulness of the singer, even in times of distress. The themes of forgiveness and mercy are confidently expected for those who believe and trust in God.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 86:1-2, 3-4, 5-6

#222 Weekday Years I & II Context (Saturday after Ash Wednesday)

#324 Weekday Year II Context (Tuesday of the 4th Week in Ordinary Time)
R. (1a) Listen, Lord, and answer me.

R. (11ab) Teach me your way, O Lord, that I may walk in your truth.

Incline your ear, O LORD; answer me,
for I am afflicted and poor.
Keep my life, for I am devoted to you;
save your servant who trusts in you.
You are my God.
R. Teach me your way, O Lord, that I may walk in your truth.

Have mercy on me, O Lord,
for to you I call all the day.
Gladden the soul of your servant,
for to you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
R. Teach me your way, O Lord, that I may walk in your truth.

For you, O Lord, are good and forgiving,
abounding in kindness to all who call upon you.
Hearken, O LORD, to my prayer
and attend to the sound of my pleading.
R. Teach me your way, O Lord, that I may walk in your truth.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 86:1-2, 3-4, 5-6

Psalm 86 is an individual lament. It asks for mercy from God. The psalmist sings of an afflicted life, and asks God to give his servant relief. The song indicates the faithfulness of the singer, even in times of distress.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 86:3-4, 5-6, 9-10

#463 Weekday Year I Context (Wednesday of the 27rh Week in Ordinary Time)-

R. (15) Lord, you are merciful and gracious.

Have mercy on me, O Lord,
for to you I call all the day.
Gladden the soul of your servant,
for to you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
R. Lord, you are merciful and gracious.

For you, O Lord, are good and forgiving,
abounding in kindness to all who call upon you.
Hearken, O LORD, to my prayer
and attend to the sound of my pleading.
R. Lord, you are merciful and gracious.

All the nations you have made shall come
and worship you, O Lord,
and glorify your name.
For you are great, and you do wondrous deeds;
you alone are God.
R. Lord, you are merciful and gracious.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 86:3-4, 5-6, 9-10

Psalm 86, an individual lament, asks for mercy from God. The singer asks God to give hope in distress, and in response the nations will give glory to God for his wondrous deeds. "The speaker’s life is in danger from unspecified causes (v 2). V 7 alludes to times of distress and v 4 indicates a lack of joy in the present situation, all in the rather generalized and formulaic language of prayers and laments." [1]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 86:1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 11, 12-13, 15-16ab

#793 Ritual Mass Context (V. For the Pastoral Care of the Sick and the Dying, 1. Anointing of the Sick, 9.)

R. (1a) Incline your ear, O Lord, and answer me.
  or:
R. (15a and 16a) God, you are merciful and gracious; turn to me and have mercy.

Incline your ear, O LORD; answer me,
  for I am afflicted and poor.
Keep my life, for 1 am devoted to you;
  save your servant who trusts in you.
You are my God.
R. Incline your ear, O Lord, and answer me.
   or:
R. God, you are merciful and gracious; turn to me and have mercy.

Have mercy on me, O Lord,
   for to you 1 call all the day.
Gladden the soul of your servant,
   for to you, 0 Lord, I lift up my soul.
R. Incline your ear, O Lord, and answer me.
   or:
R. God, you are merciful and gracious; turn to me and have mercy.

For you, O Lord, are good and forgiving,
   abounding in kindness to all who call upon you.
Hearken, O LORD, to my prayer
   and attend to the sound of my pleading.
R. Incline your ear, O Lord, and answer me.
   or:
R. God, you are merciful and gracious; turn to me and have mercy.

Teach me, O Lord, your way
  that I may walk in your truth;
  direct my heart that I may fear your name.
R. Incline your ear, O Lord, and answer me.
   or:
R. God, you are merciful and gracious; turn to me and have mercy.

I will give thanks to you, O Lord my God,
  with all my heart,
  and I will glorify your name forever.
Great has been your kindness toward me;
  you have rescued me from the depths of the nether world.
R. Incline your ear, O Lord, and answer me.
   or:
R. God, you are merciful and gracious; turn to me and have mercy.

But you, 0 Lord, are a God merciful and gracious.
  slow to anger, abounding in kindness and lidclity.
Turn toward me, and have pity on me;
  give your strength to your servant.
R. Incline your ear, O Lord, and answer me.
   or:
R. God, you are merciful and gracious; turn to me and have mercy.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 86:1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 11, 12-13, 15-16ab

Psalm 86 is a lament. The psalmist sings of a life afflicted and asks God to give his servant relief. The song indicates the faithfulness of the singer, even in times of distress. The depth of God's mercy is recalled as is salvation that flows from it.  The final petition confidently asks the lord for strength to face all tribulations.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 86:1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 14, 17

#960 Mass for Various Needs Context (IV. For Various Needs, 30. For Our Oppressors, 1.)

R. (6b) Listen, O Lord, to my pleading.

Incline your ear, O LORD; answer me,
  for I am afflicted and poor.
Keep my life, for I am devoted to you;
  save your servant who trusts in you.
You are my God.
R. Listen, O Lord, to my pleading.

Have mercy on me, O LORD,
  for to you I call all the day.
Gladden the soul of your servant,
  for to you, O Lord, I lift up my soul.
R. Listen, O Lord, to my pleading.

For you, O Lord, are good and forgiving,
  abounding in kindness to all who call upon you.
Hearken, O LORD, to my prayer
  and attend to the sound of my pleading.
R. Listen, O Lord, to my pleading.

O God, the haughty have risen up against me,
   and the company of fierce men seeks my life,
   nor do they set you before their eyes.
R. Listen, O Lord, to my pleading.

Grant me a proof of your favor,
   that my enemies may see, to their confusion,
   that you, O LORD, have helped and comforted me.
R. Listen, O Lord, to my pleading.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 86:1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 14, 17

Psalm 86 is a lament. The psalmist sings of a life afflicted and asks God to give his servant relief. The song indicates the faithfulness of the singer, even in times of distress. The themes of forgiveness and mercy are confidently expected for those who believe and trust in God.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[1] Marvin E. Tate, Psalms 51–100, vol. 20, Word Biblical Commentary (Dallas: Word, Incorporated, 1998), 380.
Fin

No comments:

Post a Comment