Friday, October 18, 2013

Psalm 116


Psalm 116:10, 15, 16-17, 18-19

#26B Solemnities B Context (2nd Sunday of Lent B)

R. (116:9) I will walk before the Lord, in the land of the living.

I believed, even when I said,
"I am greatly afflicted."
Precious in the eyes of the LORD
is the death of his faithful ones.
R. I will walk before the Lord, in the land of the living.

O LORD, I am your servant;
I am your servant, the son of your handmaid;
you have loosed my bonds.
To you will I offer sacrifice of thanksgiving,
and I will call upon the name of the LORD.
R. I will walk before the Lord, in the land of the living.

My vows to the LORD I will pay
in the presence of all his people,
In the courts of the house of the LORD,
in your midst, O Jerusalem.
R. I will walk before the Lord, in the land of the living.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 116:10, 15, 16-17, 18-19

Psalm 116 is a song of thanksgiving. This selection is an individual prayer and promise to God. The singer understands that the Lord is his salvation. A little confusing is “Precious in the eyes of the Lord is the death of his faithful ones.” The meaning is that the death of God's faithful is grievous to God, not that God is pleased with the death. "In this psalm man ponders the great things he has received from God, the great gifts of grace from the Almighty: God created man, sought him when he was lost, pardoned him when he was found, supported him when he struggled in weakness, did not abandon him when he was in danger, crowned him in victory, and gave himself as the prize." St. Augustine (Sermo 329 in natali martyrum: PL 38, 1454-1456)

CCC:  Ps 116:17 1330
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 116:12-13, 15-16bc, 17-18

#39ABC Solemnities ABC Context (Evening Mass of the Lord's Supper [Holy Thursday])

#168B Solemnities B Context (Solemnity of the Body and Blood of Christ [Corpus Christi] B)
R. (13) I will take the cup of salvation, and call on the name of the Lord.
  or:
R. Alleluia.

#393 Weekday Year I Context (Friday of the 15th Week O)
R. (13) I will take the cup of salvation, and call on the name of the Lord.

#787 Ritual Mass Context (IV. For the Conferral of Ministries, 2. Institution of Acolytes, 5.)*
R. (13) I will take the cup of salvation, and call on the name of the Lord.

#798 Ritual Mass Context (V. For the Pastoral Care of the Sick and the Dying, 2. Viaticum, 4.)*
R. (9) I will walk in the presence of the Lord in the land of the living.
  or:
R. (13) I will take the cup of salvation, and call upon the name of the Lord.
  or:
R. Alleluia

#978 Votive Mass Context (The Most Holy Eucharist, 6.)

#991 Votive Mass Context (The Most Precious Blood of Our Lord Jesus Christ, 2.)*

#11L BVM Context (The Blessed Virgin Mary at the Foot of the Cross I, Lent 11)
R. (17a) To you, O Lord, I will offer a sacrifice of praise.

R. (cf. 1 Cor 10:16) Our blessing-cup is a communion with the Blood of Christ.

How shall I make a return to the LORD
for all the good he has done for me?
The cup of salvation I will take up,
and I will call upon the name of the LORD.
R. Our blessing-cup is a communion with the Blood of Christ.

Precious in the eyes of the LORD
is the death of his faithful ones.
I am your servant, the son of your handmaid;
you have loosed my bonds.
R. Our blessing-cup is a communion with the Blood of Christ.

To you will I offer sacrifice of thanksgiving,
and I will call upon the name of the LORD.
My vows to the LORD I will pay
in the presence of all his people.
R. Our blessing-cup is a communion with the Blood of Christ.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 116:12-13, 15-16bc, 17-18

Psalm 116 is a song of thanksgiving. This selection is an individual prayer and promise to God. The singer understands that the Lord is his salvation. A little confusing is: “Precious in the eyes of the Lord is the death of his faithful ones.” The meaning of this phrase is the death of God's faithful is grievous to God, not that God is pleased with the death. "In this psalm man ponders the great things he has received from God, the great gifts of grace from the Almighty: God created man, sought him when he was lost, pardoned him when he was found, supported him when he struggled in weakness, did not abandon him when he was in danger, crowned him in victory, and gave himself as the prize." St. Augustine (Sermo 329 in natali martyrum: PL 38, 1454-1456) 

CCC: Ps 116:12 224; Ps 116:13 1330; Ps 116:17 1330
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 116:1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 8-9

#131B Solemnities B Context (24th Sunday in Ordinary Time B)

R. (9)I will walk before the Lord, in the land of the living.
or:
Alleluia.

I love the LORD because he has heard
my voice in supplication,
Because he has inclined his ear to me
the day I called.
R. I will walk before the Lord, in the land of the living.
or:
Alleluia.

The cords of death encompassed me;
the snares of the netherworld seized upon me;
I fell into distress and sorrow,
And I called upon the name of the LORD,
“O LORD, save my life!”
R. I will walk before the Lord, in the land of the living.
or:
Alleluia.

Gracious is the LORD and just;
yes, our God is merciful.
The LORD keeps the little ones;
I was brought low, and he saved me.
R. I will walk before the Lord, in the land of the living.
or:
Alleluia.

For he has freed my soul from death,
my eyes from tears, my feet from stumbling.
I shall walk before the Lord
in the land of the living.
R. I will walk before the Lord, in the land of the living.
or: Alleluia.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 116:1-2, 3-4, 5-6, 8-9

Psalm 116 is a song sung as the psalmist offers a sacrifice in thanksgiving for God’s help in distress. The singer thanks God and acknowledges that the Lord has heard the plea of his faithful, teaching those who attend that God is merciful and that the faith response is to follow the Lord in all things: “I will walk before the Lord, in the land of the living.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 116:12-13, 14-15, 16-17

#278 Weekday Years I & II Context (Saturday of the 3rd Week of Easter)

R. (12) How shall I make a return to the Lord for all the good he has done for me?
or:
R. Alleluia.

How shall I make a return to the LORD
for all the good he has done for me?
The cup of salvation I will take up,
and I will call upon the name of the LORD
R. How shall I make a return to the Lord for all the good he has done for me?
or:
R. Alleluia.

My vows to the LORD I will pay
in the presence of all his people.
Precious in the eyes of the LORD
is the death of his faithful ones.
R. How shall I make a return to the Lord for all the good he has done for me?
or:
R. Alleluia.

O LORD, I am your servant;
I am your servant, the son of your handmaid;
you have loosed my bonds.
To you will I offer sacrifice of thanksgiving,
and I will call upon the name of the LORD.
R. How shall I make a return to the Lord for all the good he has done for me?
or:
R. Alleluia.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 116:12-13, 14-15, 16-17

Psalm 116 is a song of thanksgiving. This selection is an individual prayer and promise to God. The singer understands that the Lord is his salvation. A little confusing is: “Precious in the eyes of the Lord is the death of his faithful ones.” The meaning of this phrase is the death of God's faithful is grievous to God, not that God is pleased with the death. "In this psalm man ponders the great things he has received from God, the great gifts of grace from the Almighty: God created man, sought him when he was lost, pardoned him when he was found, supported him when he struggled in weakness, did not abandon him when he was in danger, crowned him in victory, and gave himself as the prize." St. Augustine (Sermo 329 in natali martyrum: PL 38, 1454-1456)

CCC: Ps 116:12 224; Ps 116:13 1330; Ps 116:17 1330
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 116:12-13, 14-17, 18-19

#305 Weekday Year II Context (Monday of the 1st Week in Ordinary Time)

R. (17a) To you, Lord, I will offer a sacrifice of praise.
or:
R. Alleluia.

How shall I make a return to the LORD
for all the good he has done for me?
The cup of salvation I will take up,
and I will call upon the name of the LORD.
R. To you, Lord, I will offer a sacrifice of praise.
or:
R. Alleluia.

My vows to the LORD I will pay
in the presence of all his people.
Precious in the eyes of the LORD
is the death of his faithful ones.
O LORD, I am your servant;
I am your servant, the son of your handmaid;
you have loosed my bonds.
R. To you, Lord, I will offer a sacrifice of praise.
or:
R. Alleluia.

My vows to the LORD I will pay
in the presence of all his people,
In the courts of the house of the LORD,
in your midst, O Jerusalem.
R. To you, Lord, I will offer a sacrifice of praise.
or:
R. Alleluia.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 116:12-13, 14-17, 18-19

Psalm 116 is a song of thanksgiving. This selection is an individual prayer and promise to God. The singer understands that the Lord is their salvation. A little confusing is: “Precious in the eyes of the Lord is the death of his faithful ones.” The meaning is that the death of God's faithful is painful to God, not that God is pleased with the death.

This selection from Psalm 116 also recalls the Passover ritual, referring to the “cup of salvation.” The psalm rejoices in God’s saving works in releasing the people from their bondage.

CCC: Ps 116:12 224; Ps 116:13 1330; Ps 116:17 1330
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 116:12-13, 14-15, 18-19

#337 Weekday Year I Context (Wednesday of the 6th Week in Ordinary Time)

R. (17a) To you, Lord, I will offer a sacrifice of praise.
or:
R. Alleluia.

How shall I make a return to the LORD
for all the good he has done for me?
The cup of salvation I will take up,
and I will call upon the name of the LORD.
R. To you, Lord, I will offer a sacrifice of praise.
or:
R. Alleluia.
My vows to the LORD I will pay
in the presence of all his people.
Precious in the eyes of the LORD
is the death of his faithful ones.
R. To you, Lord, I will offer a sacrifice of praise.
or:
R. Alleluia.

My vows to the LORD I will pay
in the presence of all his people,
In the courts of the house of the LORD,
in your midst, O Jerusalem.
R. To you, Lord, I will offer a sacrifice of praise.
or:
R. Alleluia.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 116:12-13, 14-15, 18-19

Psalm 116 is a song of thanksgiving. This selection is an individual prayer and promise to God. The singer understands that the Lord is his salvation. A little confusing is “Precious in the eyes of the Lord is the death of his faithful ones.” The meaning is that the death of God's faithful is grievous to God, not that God is pleased with the death. "In this psalm man ponders the great things he has received from God, the great gifts of grace from the Almighty: God created man, sought him when he was lost, pardoned him when he was found, supported him when he struggled in weakness, did not abandon him when he was in danger, crowned him in victory, and gave himself as the prize." St. Augustine (Sermo 329 in natali martyrum: PL 38, 1454-1456)

CCC: Ps 116:12 224; Ps 116:13 1330
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 116:10-11, 15-16, 17-18

#363 Weekday Year II Context (Friday of the 10th Week in Ordinary Time)

R. (17a) To you, Lord, I will offer a sacrifice of praise.
or:
R. Alleluia.
I believed, even when I said,
"I am greatly afflicted";
I said in my alarm,
"No man is dependable."
R. To you, Lord, I will offer a sacrifice of praise.
or:
R. Alleluia.
Precious in the eyes of the LORD
is the death of his faithful ones.
O LORD, I am your servant;
I am your servant, the son of your handmaid;
you have loosed my bonds.
R. To you, Lord, I will offer a sacrifice of praise.
or:
R. Alleluia.
To you will I offer sacrifice of thanksgiving,
and I will call upon the name of the LORD.
My vows to the LORD I will pay
in the presence of all his people.
R. To you, Lord, I will offer a sacrifice of praise.
or:
R. Alleluia.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 116:10-11, 15-16, 17-18

Psalm 116 is a song of thanksgiving. This selection is an individual prayer and promise to God. The singer understands that the Lord is his salvation. A little confusing is: “Precious in the eyes of the Lord is the death of his faithful ones.” The meaning is that the death of God's faithful is grievous to God, not that God is pleased with the death. "In this psalm man ponders the great things he has received from God, the great gifts of grace from the Almighty: God created man, sought him when he was lost, pardoned him when he was found, supported him when he struggled in weakness, did not abandon him when he was in danger, crowned him in victory, and gave himself as the prize." St. Augustine (Sermo 329 in natali martyrum: PL 38, 1454-1456)

CCC: Ps 116:17 1330
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 116:12-13, 17-18

#442 Weekday Year II Context (Saturday of the 23rd Week in Ordinary Time)

#772 Ritual Mass Context (II. For the Conferral of Holy Orders, 7.)
R. (see 1 Corinthians 10:16) Our blessing-cup is a communion with the blood of Christ.
  or:
R. Alleluia

R. (17) To you, Lord, I will offer a sacrifice of praise.

How shall I make a return to the Lord
for all the good he has done for me?
The cup of salvation I will take up,
and I will call upon the name of the Lord.
R. To you, Lord, I will offer a sacrifice of praise.

To you will I offer sacrifice of thanksgiving,
and I will call upon the name of the Lord.
My vows to the Lord I will pay
in the presence of all his people.
R. To you, Lord, I will offer a sacrifice of praise.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 116:12-13, 17-18

This selection from Psalm 116 recalls the Passover ritual referring to the “cup of salvation.” The psalm rejoices in God’s saving works in releasing the people from their bondage. This psalm of thanksgiving gives us the image of the “cup of blessing.” It is this cup that the Lord first blessed at the Last Supper and used as our communion cup.

CCC: Ps 116:12 224; Ps 116:13 1330; Ps 116:17 1330
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 116:10-11, 12-13, 16ac-17

#620A Proper of Saints Context (St. Maximilian Mary Kolebe, Aug 14)

R. (15) Precious in the eyes of the Lord is the death of his faithful ones.

I believed, even when I said,
"I am greatly afflicted";
I said in my alarm,
"No man is dependable."
R. Precious in the eyes of the Lord is the death of his faithful ones.

How shall I make a return to the LORD
for all the good he has done for me?
The cup of salvation I will take up,
and I will call upon the name of the LORD.
R. Precious in the eyes of the Lord is the death of his faithful ones.

O LORD, I am your servant;
you have loosed my bonds.
To you will I offer sacrifice of thanksgiving,
and I will call upon the name of the LORD.
R. Precious in the eyes of the Lord is the death of his faithful ones.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 116:10-11, 12-13, 16ac-17

Psalm 116 is a song of thanksgiving. This selection is an individual prayer and promise to God. The singer understands that the Lord is his salvation. A little confusing is -“Precious in the eyes of the Lord is the death of his faithful ones.”- The meaning is that the death of God's faithful is grievous to God, not that God is pleased with the death.

CCC: Ps 116:12 224; Ps 116:13 1330; Ps 116:17 1330
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Psalm 116:5, 6, 10-11, 15-16ac

#1013 Mass for the Dead Context (7.)

R. (9) I will walk in the presence of the Lord in the land of the living.
  or:
R. Alleluia.

Gracious is the LORD and just;
  yes, our God is merciful.
R. I will walk in the presence of the Lord in the land of the living.
  or:
R. Alleluia.

The LORD keeps the little ones;
   I was brought low, and he saved me.
R. I will walk in the presence of the Lord in the land of the living.
  or:
R. Alleluia.

I believed, even when I said,
   "I am greatly afflicted";
I said in my alarm,
   "No man is dependable."
R. I will walk in the presence of the Lord in the land of the living.
  or:
R. Alleluia.

Precious in the eyes of the LORD
   is the death of his faithful ones.
O LORD, I am your servant,
   you have loosed my bonds.
R. I will walk in the presence of the Lord in the land of the living.
  or:
R. Alleluia.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Commentary on Ps 116:5, 6, 10-11, 15-16ac

Psalm 116 is a song sung as the psalmist offers a sacrifice in thanksgiving for God’s help. The singer thanks God and acknowledges that the Lord has heard the plea of his faithful. He holds up God's great mercy, confident that the Lord cares for all of those who are his adopted children.  The passage concludes with faith that Christ has destroyed the bonds of death and has opened the gates of heaven; “I will walk before the Lord, in the land of the living.” "In this psalm man ponders the great things he has received from God, the great gifts of grace from the Almighty: God created man, sought him when he was lost, pardoned him when he was found, supported him when he struggled in weakness, did not abandon him when he was in danger, crowned him in victory, and gave himself as the prize." St. Augustine (Sermo 329 in natali martyrum: PL 38, 1454-1456)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fin
*Citation is different in the index but the text is identical

No comments:

Post a Comment